"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who else saw this?

Started by Jester, September 04, 2012, 08:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

ebay link

Nobody has mentioned this one, so I thought I'd post a response.  The Med. Blue wallphone is really uncommon in its own right.  But, the color matched 172B mounting plate makes this really special, maybe even rare.  Add the soft red handset with gray cord, you really have a nice package!  I don't understand why the handset elements & trans. cups were removed, but still feel the final bid was more than reasonable.  I was watching this one more out of curiosity, but was still tempted to bid.
Stephen

Gilas

I tried.  Bid 380 on them but still wasn't enough.  Thought it would go a lot higher then it did. 

jsowers

I saw it and it was just too high for my budget. I think it's a display model 554, judging by the number card and the absence of elements in the handset. It may also have parts missing inside. They were used in the Business Office to show people what was available in extension phones.

Odd to me, since 1957 was the year that dark blue was discontinued. I guess they had no way of knowing when they made this that it wouldn't be on display for long.

I have a 701 Princess and a 2500 that were display models. They were stamped with a special number on the chassis. They were gutted out, so to speak, and the dials were glued on. The 2500 does still have a functioning touchpad.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Saw it, had it on my watch list but did not bid (wife still watching online purchases closely). Nice stuff.

Dennis Markham

I kept an eye on it as well.  As Jester mentioned, that matching backboard is an uncommon find.  (I like to avoid saying "rare").  I'll bet our friend Vern Potter would love to have added that backboard to his collection.

That's interesting, Jonathan about the display models having no guts.  It would be nice to learn if this one was put together that way.  Mr. Oldphoneguy55 is the new owner. 

Great looking phone.

Jester

Gilas,

So did I.  With the bid up to $352.00 four days before final, I just knew some "big guns" were hunting for this one.

Jonathon,

As expected, some great insight on the details of this phone.  The greatest features, in my opinion, were the dial card & 172B plate.  The extra gray handset cord also got my attention.
Stephen

Jester

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 04, 2012, 08:36:11 PM
I like to avoid saying "rare".  

Dennis,

I agree, and have modified my original post to reflect this.  My reflections were more toward the 172B plate than the 554, as I know of at least six 554's in this color, but have not seen a color matched backplate, until now.
Stephen

paul-f

Quote from: jsowers on September 04, 2012, 08:28:49 PM
I think it's a display model 554, judging by the number card and the absence of elements in the handset. It may also have parts missing inside. They were used in the Business Office to show people what was available in extension phones.

Good call!  I have a few display sets as well, and the handset elements were missing in all of them.  Apparently they wanted to make sure that if anyone walked off with the phone it wouldn't function.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dennis Markham

Stephen, I didn't even notice you said "rare" or I wouldn't have posted what I posted.  Sorry.  I wasn't poking fun at your post at all.  :-[

Jester

Dennis,

That's OK.  I was obviously questioning my own wording, or I wouldn't have readily changed it.  Same as the overuse of terms like "Eames Era", etc., I usually prefer "uncommon" to "rare".  This item is still, in my opinion, worth a footnote in the collecting world.
Stephen

McHeath

Yay I won this one!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh wait, I'm also delusional.

Okay so I wish I had won this one.  Then again, I wish I had won a lot of them.  How's that old saying go about if wishes were horses or something like that?

Surprised it did not go a bit higher. 

Tom B

I was watching this auction too - It does appear that the Med Blue 554 is a display model. But I thought the bids would go a lot higher , especially with the red 56 handset and grey cord.
Tom

Doug Rose

I watched this auction as well. I never knew about display models and did miss the telling dial card.

Proving once again, you can teach an old doug new tricks.....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

The seller is the same person I won the med. blue 500 from last month;

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7449.0
Stephen