"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5H dial in "spacesaver" that won't break dial tone

Started by cdc1960, March 22, 2014, 07:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdc1960

Hello,

I have a 50s spacesaver phone (no ringer) that has a 5H dial. I installed new line and handset cords as the originals were cut, but the phone will not break dial tone. After each number is dialed, the tone returns. The dial contacts appear to be pulsing correctly, and if I disconnect the BB wire on the back of the dial, it interrupts the dial tone. Any suggestions on how to remedy would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Phonesrfun

You say there is no ringer.  Is there also no subset?  The spacesavers were designed for a subset.  If you are using a subset, what type and how is it wired?  Much more information is needed.

-Bill G

cdc1960

I think you may have already answered my question... it is not hooked to a subset...  thank you...

cdc1960

is the lack of a subset responsible or the problem?

Thanks,

Chris

Phonesrfun

yeah, you really do need a subset.  Lost of discussion about the pros and cons of using one versus not. There are a couple ways to connect the phone without:

Use a mini network from an AE Styleline
Use a 302 base and make it function as a subset
Use a 500 base and make it function as a subset
Make a "cheater" subset using a resistor and capacitor
Go "barefoot" with no subset at all, which connects the receiver and transmitter directly across the line with nothing in between to prevent eventual damage to components and keep users from going deaf from lout pops.

The "barefoot" option means connecting two wires directly to the line.  You are probably connecting the red and green.  Connecting yellow and green will likely allow you to dial, but the sound will not be up to par and you will get loud pops in the receiver every time the dial goes off normal and comes back to rest, and every time you take the receiver off hook and hang it up.

-Bill G

cdc1960

Thank you for the advice, it's much appreciated. With an F1 handset, which subset should I use in order to connect the phone correctly?

Thanks,

Chris

Phonesrfun

It would have come with a 684 subset.  A converted 302 is the equivalent of a 684 subset. 
-Bill G

cdc1960

one last question (maybe?) can anyone point me to a wiring diagram to convert a 302 into a subset? I found one, but the link is dead..

Thanks,

Chris

Phonesrfun

All you do is leave the base intact.  Ringer, induction coil and capacitor.  Leave it wired as for a phone but with all the other wires disconnected.  The ones that remain would be:

Line cord Red to L1 on the induction coil
Line cord Green to L2/Y on the induction coil

Black ringer wire to K on the terminal strip next to the induction coil
Ringer red wire to L1 on the induction coil

Capacitor black wire to GND on the terminal strip next to the induction coil  (We are using GND for what would normally be a BK terminal in the 684 subset)
Capacitor red wire to C on the induction coil
Capacitor slate wire to K on the terminal strip
Capacitor yellow wire to L2/Y on the induction coil

From the spacesaver phone:

Black to GND on the terminal strip
Red to R on the induction coil
Green to GN on the induction coil
Yellow to L2/Y on the induction coil

That should do it.

Does your spacesaver have a 4-conductor cord coming from it with red, green, yellow and black wires?

Ray Kotke (telephonecreations.com) sells a custom made plastic cover for 302 subset conversions.  He also sells these on e-Bay under the handle of Kleenax

-Bill G

cdc1960

Thank you Bill.

The spacesaver had about two inches left of the 4 wire cord. I was planning on ordering a replacement from oldphoneworks, they also list the 302 subset conversion covers for 39.95....

Chris

poplar1

211s were usually connected to the subset with "inside wire" rather than the type cord used with 202s or 302s. This is the same wire used for connecting blocks, wall sets, or 404B jacks.

One of the forum members--kleenax--makes the covers for 302 bases. He sells them for about half the price that OPW charges, and shipping charges might be less if you live in the US.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

cdc1960

Thanks.  I'm in Canada, but I'll see what he wants for shipping...

Chris