Dan's North Gallion set w/ cut-away fingerwheel $22.00
3 (13%)
pbghmike77's 28 B's & D's + parts $80.00
9 (39.1%)
Teleplay's 1948 302 $32.00
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

pbghmike77

Quote from: GG on April 21, 2011, 07:37:12 AMI have sent you a message to your inbox. I didn't want to pollute find of the month. Thanks. I do have what you are looking for.

Mike-  Yes, that's right.  The metal housing with cradle, the movable bar and plunger assembly in the cradle, the switch contacts that the vertical bar operates when it's pressed down (and the terminal screws attached to them), and the (typically leather-covered) oval base that's screwed onto the bottom of the main housing.  What I'm looking for is one that just consists of those things (basically is missing its dial and handset) and isn't bent or cracked or rusted out or corroded to the point of metal being pitted.  If you have one like that, a couple of photos would be helpful along with a price. 

Difficult economic times lead to hoarding because people realize that if they throw something out today, they may need it tomorrow and not be able to replace it.  That mindset also goes along with developing skills such as hunting, growing food in household gardens, building things from scratch, repairing things, and so on, that add up to a major advantage compared to those who just throw stuff out and replace it or hire others to do all their hands-on and "dirty" jobs.  Learning new hands-on skills is always a good investment. 

TelePlay

Had a good feeling about this one and it turned out to be an original 1948 302.

http://tinyurl.com/3dtda8u

The auction said it would be shipped in its original box. The box turned out to be for a 1962 blue 500D. The '48 302 was placed that '62 box and stored well for all these years. I don't know if it works because I just got the phone today and was pleasantly surprised to see all internal parts are from 1948 and many dated 9-48.

There is minor wear on most parts. The finger wheel is well used. The cloth cord and coiled handset cord are in great shape. I think all I'm going to do to this unit is clean and polish and put on display as the only complete date matching phone I have.

The pictures that follow were taken as I opened the phone. No cleaning needed. Not bad for $32.

F-1 receiver; HA1 Transmitter; BSA ringer; H5 dial; WE 372A vacuum tube; IND 101A III 48 network winding. The only number I could not fully read was on the H5 dial. It looks like the top half of the "9" is covered by the case but the 48 to the right of it is visible.

Looks like it has never been serviced from the time it was placed in service until the owner decided to go with the blue 500 in 1962. It's clean inside and out and the dial works fine. Just going to let it sit on the living room table and look at it for a few weeks before cleaning and polishing the phone.

Jim Stettler

It was probably put in that box in 1962.  Great find.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

That's what I thought they did and then they put the box in a heated and dry storage place which kept it in such great shape. Even the thin cardboard they used to box phones back then is in great shape, 49 years after they got the 500.

The finger wheel and number plate show years of normal wear but not abuse. The caps screwed off with ease. All contacts are bright and clean. No dirt, dust, spiders, etc. anywhere in the phone.

And, it's the first 302 I got with the tube in it. I have about 3 or 4 others but none have the vacuum tube. One of the felt feet has a wear hole in it but that's the worst of it. As you can tell, I'm still excited about find this phone. Didn't expect to find a number perfect phone, ever.

Dennis Markham

Nice buy on the 302, John.  It does look like it's in very good condition.

the 62 on the box is the Western Electric color suffix for Aqua Blue.

TelePlay

Thanks on the 62. I thought it might be the color code. As such, have no idea when they changed out the 302 for the blue 500.

Just got out the box and looked at every bit of it. No markings of any kind anywhere except for as shown in the picture and the darker blue Tel Co Property tape seal that was broken when the box was opened.

The box, except for a few tears, is in great shape. No holes, dents or water marks.

So, not being up on release dates, I guess all I could say is the 302 was put into storage sometime after the 500DR, whatever that stood for, came out.

Will never know, but it is a great 302.

Jim Stettler

Today is the last day for voting, there have only been 8 votes so far.
Please vote.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

Mike wins with  35+ %
It is hard to beat 28 B & D's.

pbghmike77's 28 B's & D's + parts $80.00

Congrat's Mike
Jim
You live, You learn,