News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Zinc WE 302: to repaint or not to repaint?

Started by elmwood, December 04, 2010, 01:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elmwood

Last week, one of my buddies scored a zinc WE 302 from an area thrift shop, and gave it to me, knowing about my new-found hobby.  The phone is in remarkable condition (excepting the handset cable, which I have to replace), but the paint is chipped around the receiver.

What's the current wisdom on repainting?  Of course, repainting some antiques, such s old toys, will cause them to lose some value. compared to those with their original wear, tear and patina.  How about metal phones, though?  If the paint is original but worn, but the phone is still presentable, would repainting be seen as ruining the phone?

FWIW, this thing is HEAVY.

ESalter

I'd say it's up to you.  I have a metal 302 that's on display with the same chips around the cradle, I chose to leave it because it still looked really nice and like it came from the 40s.  If you wanted to make it look brand new, just out of the box, then repaint it.  If the paint job looks professional then i wouldn't think it'd effect the value.  ---Eric

HarrySmith

I agree, it is up to you. If you like it as is then leave it! If not paint it! As Eric said; as long as it is done right it will not affect the value. I have 3 metal ones, none are perfect but I am only going to refinish one, probably powdercoat it. Or I may make it some wild color, just for fun ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: elmwood on December 04, 2010, 01:39:33 AM
Last week, one of my buddies scored a zinc WE 302 from an area thrift shop, and gave it to me, knowing about my new-found hobby.  The phone is in remarkable condition (excepting the handset cable, which I have to replace), but the paint is chipped around the receiver.

What's the current wisdom on repainting?  Of course, repainting some antiques, such s old toys, will cause them to lose some value. compared to those with their original wear, tear and patina.  How about metal phones, though?  If the paint is original but worn, but the phone is still presentable, would repainting be seen as ruining the phone?

FWIW, this thing is HEAVY.
How bad is the paint? A Seventy year old metal phone should have some chipping around the cradle ears, but if its really bad all over; strip and paint it. Post a picture so we can see the condition....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

Dan

I'd leave it alone. I like phones with "patina."
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

elmwood

Thanks for your responses!

I'll post a photo later today.  Most of the chipping is around the cradle, there's almost no exposed metal anywhere else.  The dial is in good condition, with a bit of exposed metal in the finger holes.  The porcelain number ring (?) is clean and intact.

It does need a new handset cord.  What would be the most accurate; straight rubber, coiled rubber, straight cloth or coiled cloth?  (No, I'm not going to use a spare modular cord!)

Like I probably posted earlier, I use my phones as "daily dialers", so I don't restore them to NOS condition. If I'm sanding/polishing a plastic case (400-600-800-1000-2000-Novus 3-Novus 2-auto wax), and I can see microscratches under bright light at close inspection, no biggie.

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

What is the date on the phone? I think any of them would be correct on a metal phone, but for practical purposes you may want to go with a coiled cord.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

From what I've seen in my travels in antique telephone land, refurbished phones do not lose there value, unless you managed to screw something up in the process.

Being the humble (and remarkable) guy that I am, I'll use myself as an example.  I have a 5302 that I got a little over-zealous in my attempt to clean up the rust and corrosion, and unintentionally dissolved the original paint, and with it, ruined the original markings, including the manufacture date stamp.  I managed to replicate them fairly well, but they aren't original.  To a serious collector, that diminishes the value.  To the uninformed, probably not.

But it depends on how bad your phone's paint job is.  Painting takes some care to do right, so do your homework first.  I have a 202 I would like to repaint, but the original paint isn't that bad, I just would like it to be better.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e