News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

care and feeding of early black 500's

Started by LoveOldPhones, December 11, 2010, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

OK.... i have a question about the early black 500's.
do they need any special kind of care to keep them looking and sounding good?

is there something i should be putting on the bakelite?.... or on the shell of the phone?
what about the inside?

all i have been doing with my later 500's is wiping them down.... but the early black ones seem special.

any comments on this other than maybe i am NUTZ?  LOL

thanks

bingster

First, if you love old phones, you're definitely nutz. ;)

But what you've been doing is just fine.  Wipe 'em down occasionally on the outside, and leave the insides alone.  Many were in service for decades without any attention at all, and they made out just fine.  If the bakelite handset is worn, occasional coats of black paste shoe polish will help.  
= DARRIN =

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: bingster on December 12, 2010, 01:42:15 AM
First, if you love old phones, you're definitely nutz. ;)

But what you've been doing is just fine.  Wipe 'em down occasionally on the outside, and leave the insides alone.  Many were in service for decades without any attention at all, and they made out just fine.  If the bakelite handset is worn, occasional coats of black paste shoe polish will help.  

thanks Bingster.... what a great idea about the black shoe polish. LOL

so let me ask one more thing..... what about sunlight?  i know its a problem with the colored phones.... what about the early black ones.  are they ok to be in occasional sunshine as it travels accross the room?
i love a bright sunny environment.

i do have some of that turtle wax protectant that Dennis talked about in one of his posts.
i  keep the colored phones out of the sun.... so what about the old black ones?

should i put some protectant on and not worry about it?
i keep  the black phone on the desk next to me when i am working and the sun does  come thru for a little while

thanks

bingster

The sun should have no effect of any kind on a black phone, so no worries there.  No need for a protectant or anything like that, unless you like the way it makes the plastic shine.  Other colors should be kept out of direct sunlight, though, as you've said. 
= DARRIN =

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: bingster on December 13, 2010, 07:08:43 AM
The sun should have no effect of any kind on a black phone, so no worries there.  No need for a protectant or anything like that, unless you like the way it makes the plastic shine.  Other colors should be kept out of direct sunlight, though, as you've said. 

thanks Bingster..... i do like the shine. LOL
i dont have any of my other phones in the sun.... except.....an orange 2500.  i want the sun to add yellow to the orange.  to me....thats one color that will look good to be faded out a bit....
or more yellow.

anyway... thanks for your comment.