News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cost to have refurbished vs. Price of already refurbished

Started by tjmack99, December 21, 2010, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

Having never sent a phone out to be refurbished, I only know the prices I see on ebay for phones that have already had the work done. In general, what's the better deal? I would expect a certain retail markup is factored in the ebay reserve prices, but what have you all experienced?

Phonesrfun

To me, doing my own refurbishing is where the fun of collecting is.  I do not try to achieve the picture perfect look, because my own opinion is that doing so detracts from the utility of a phone.  I will, however clean, repair and restore to a reasonable level, but I just don't go all out, if you know what I mean.

Therefore, I have never sent one out to be restored, and I have never purchased one that someone else has has either.

-Bill G

paul-f

"Buyer Beware!"

There are no standards for the pricing of phones or refurb services, so you need to do your homework carefully to understand just what you're buying.

I agree with Bill.  For my collection, I prefer to do the work myself and have total control of the results, including decisions on what work is done and costs incurred.

I occasionally do repair and refurb work for other collectors, so have looked at how sellers seem to set prices.  Here are some off the cuff observations.

Sellers generally want to recover costs plus make a profit.  Sometimes the desired profit is reasonable and some times it seems ridiculous.

The seller's cost may include many things such as:

• running around to flea markets and shops.
  • cost of the phone.
  • incoming shipping.
  • parts and supplies for repair
  • labor
  • marketing
  • selling fees (e.g. ebay and paypal)
  • cost of any warranty provided

I'm sure a little thought will produce other things we pay for if someone else does the work.  The best way to save is to do it yourself.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

tjmack99,

Be aware that some phone sellers sell refurbished phones with their parts replaced with more modern (or less valuable) ones.  You might get a nice looking phone which works, but it might not really be worth so much because the original parts are gone.  Also, for me, it is more fun using a phone which is totally original and authentic.

I agree with Bill that restoring an old phone (or clock, radio, or any of my other obsessions) can be at least as much fun as using it.  There is something satisfying about opening/unscrewing something which has not been touched in 60-80 years sionce it was assembled.  But many people think (or know) that I am crazy.

Larry

Adam

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 21, 2010, 06:11:19 PM
There is something satisfying about opening/unscrewing something which has not been touched in 60-80 years sionce it was assembled.

But on some level, doesn't it cause unease in your brain when you unscrew a screw that has never been unscrewed since the phone was manufactured?  You know it when you do it, you get that little "pop" as the screw lets go.

It sort of makes me sad a tiny bit every time I have to do it.

Yeah, I'm crazy too.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

tjmack99

I guess I should have offered the caveat that in a perfect world, with enough spare time, a DIY approach is ideal (I have spent more time than I care to admit with my 1965 Vespa, but I digress). That said, I have a reputable shop who I trust very much, and they have done some of the work. I guess it all depends upon whether you can trust who did the work, in the case of an ebay purchase.
Thanks all,
Tim

Dan/Panther

A lot of the depends on condition, and what typr phone is being worked on.
A WE 500 in decent shape would be much cheaper to restore than a 202 with a damaged dial or handset. So many factors have to be considered.
The type and extend of condition are primary factors, in cost to restsore.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

I agree with everything that has been said. I myself really enjoy taking a phone that looks nasty and does not work, stripping it down, cleaning, polishing and repairing it to end up with a really nice looking phone that works. I have also purchased a refurbed phone, the Rose Beige that is my avatar. I also buy cheap phones and restore to sell on ebay. I also build custom phones. I also run an ad on craigslist and people bring me phones to fix or restore. The pricing depends on a lot of factors. I got what I thought was a good deal on the Rose Beige, $100.00. That is the most I have paid for a phone so far. On ebay I buy cheap. When I restore or repair a phone it depends on what needs to be done. If it is just a general cleaning and polishing a 500 I charge $60.00. If I have to repair something the parts plus labor have to be factored in. If I am doing a complete refinish, clean, sand and polish it would be $150 - $200, depending on the amount of time spent.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

I think for the most part, collectors want to work on their own phones.  I know that I do.  For me, after "the hunt", the fun part is making it look and work nice again.  From discussions we've had in the past here on the forum, there are different degrees of refurbishing that individuals want to do.  That's another topic for discussion.  But there are a lot of people out there that just want one phone.  They don't have parts or the tools to properly refurbish a phone--or the desire or know-how in most cases.  They just want a nice phone like they once had in days gone by...or to give one as a gift.  Those are the people that don't mind spending a little more money to get a phone that has been gone over from top to bottom.  Cords replaced, if needed, the dial cleaned and properly lubricated, etc.

It's not rocket science, anyone with the desire can do it.  Some people just don't want to be bothered with it.  I can change the brakes on my car, but it's a lot easier to go have someone else do it.  Someone with the right tools, etc.

My 2c worth.

tjmack99

That's it, if I had to boil it down. All things being equal, without time to do it yourself, would sending it to the right guy be better than taking ones chances with an all-restored phone on ebay? It's probably too simplistic a question though....

HarrySmith

Thats always an option. As stated earlier you never know what you will get from eBay, it may not be an original phone even though it looks great.  I have had people contact me for an opinion on an eBay phone then buy it and have it shipped to me for restoration.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 21, 2010, 03:29:53 PM
To me, doing my own refurbishing is where the fun of collecting is.  I do not try to achieve the picture perfect look, because my own opinion is that doing so detracts from the utility of a phone.  I will, however clean, repair and restore to a reasonable level, but I just don't go all out, if you know what I mean.

Therefore, I have never sent one out to be restored, and I have never purchased one that someone else has has either.
This pretty well sums up my philosophy as well.
Quote from: HarrySmith on December 21, 2010, 08:10:54 PM
.......I got what I thought was a good deal on the Rose Beige, $100.00. That is the most I have paid for a phone so far........
Boy, Harry, my hat's off to you.  That's quite an achievement.  From my limited experience, I have found that spending only $100 for a rare phone is wishful thinking.  For example, I have never run across a nice undamaged mushroom phone for $100.  Even at shows, they always go for considerably more than that.  If you, or anybody else, has for sale a decent all-original mushroom phone (any color) for $100, let me know!!

gpo706

I may buy a re-furb, if the seller was namechecked on here, and I had the money!

But some folk on here do such a good job, It would embarrass my decor, I'd also be afraid to leave a fingerprint on it.

So for me grab a bargain, preferably something new or different that interests you, and get the screwdriver and the cleaning cloth out.

It's so much more satisfying when you get that "barn set" looking reasonable and rewired to work.

Just my tuppence worth (or 2 cents).

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Sargeguy

I won't touch a phone that has been refurbished just because I like to do things myself.  It takes all the fun out of it.  It's like getting a box of Cracker Jacks that some other kid has taken the prize out of and decided whether he wants it or not.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409