News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 5 - Kellogg Grabaphone

Started by bingster, September 29, 2008, 03:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

Hear, ye! Hear, ye!  The fifth auction contest is underway!

This week, let's go back a bit farther than usual, with a Kellogg Grabaphone from the storied Kellogg Switchboard and Supply Company.  Long a supplier to independent phone companies, hotels and offices, Kellogg beat Western Electric to the single handset game by many years with this, and similar models.

Deadline for entries is one day before the auction's end. So what do we think this sweet little telephone will bring?

S C O R E B O A R D
Sold for $92.09
$100.00 - benhutcherson
$125.00 - bingster
$175.00 - Mark Stevens
$200.00 - BDM
$210.00 - mienaichizu
$227.50 - Dan
$246.00 - Bill Cahill
$536.00 - McHeath

= DARRIN =

Mark Stevens

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Since my last two entries have been over by either a little bit or a huge amount, I'm going to lowball this one and say $100.

With that said, however, I'm definitely a WE guy, with a passing interest in AE. I'm not familiar with Kellogg phones at all, so know very little about the rarity or value of this particular one. It's unique enough, however, that I certainly wouldn't mind having it in my collection.

bingster

I'm in the same boat.  I know nothing about non WE phones of this vintage, so I'm going to take a stab at $125. :-\

Do we think the "1930" on the bottom is a date or part of a model number or something?  I can't imagine anybody making something so delicate-looking and "retro" as late as 1930.  Any Kellogg experts out there?
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

uhmm I think $210, this is my first time to do auction

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

Did a little research on these, they date from around 1910 and had a variety of hooks and even handset and base parts.  It's got Ericsson heritage as well.  The 1930 date could be a refurb date, sale date, or even when it was made new.

I have no idea of the worth, so we take a stab in the dark, and aim at $536.  Probably way too high.

Dan/Panther

My bid estimate $227.50

D/P

I bought the wall version for $20.00, but as of yet it still hasn't arrived, I think the guy is renegging....

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

QuoteI bought the wall version for $20.00, but as of yet it still hasn't arrived, I think the guy is renegging...

20 dollars!!???  20 Dollars!!!?   Okay, now I know that you are in league with the Dark Side, how on Earth else do we explain these amazing deals you get?

Dan/Panther

McHeath;

here is the link to the results...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130255343136&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003
I won't ewven say eat your heart out, as ebay is still full of great deals. I only wish I could get the equivalent deals for radios.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

The results are in, and it's another week in which we've all gone over!  I know nothing about telephones of this type, but I think the winner of the auction got a bargain at $92.09.  And that makes our winner... benhutcherson!  Congratulations to Ben for being closest. 

Stay tuned tomorrow for the next auction contest.  8)
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Okay, so I'm only a few hundred clams over.  I guess I learned my pricing skills from the government.