News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 7 - Western Electric 5302

Started by bingster, October 15, 2008, 01:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

This week's contest involves a phone that has lately been the subject of some discussion on the forum.  It is the Western Electric 5302, which is a hybrid of the trusty 302 and 500 telephones.  Often mistakenly referred to as a "transitional" phone, it was actually produced by the ever-thrifty Western Electric to keep up with the demand for the new 500, and to use up parts that would otherwise have been scrapped.

This example has been restored, and shines like a new penny.  What do we think it will bring?

As usual, deadline for entries is one day before the auction's end.

S C O R E B O A R D
Sold for $69.00
$  80 - benhutcherson (Over - Winner)
$  90 - Bill Cahill (Over)
$  99 - HobieSport (Over)
$101 - BDM (Over)
$110 - Mark Stevens (Over)
$132.28 - Dan (Over)
$135 - mienaichizu (Over)
$150 - JimH (Over)
$170 - bingster (Over)
$225 - McHeath (Over)
= DARRIN =

JimH

I'll say $150.00.....now if they had a beige one......
Jim H.

Mark Stevens

That's a tough one.  Most collectors know that they're not crazy-rare (and are liable to balk at paying a premium for restoration work done by someone else), but non-collectors probably won't understand what it is! Put me down for $110.

benhutcherson

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Wow what a pretty phone!  This guy markets well, it's up to 51 bucks and still has 7 days to go.  His auctions seem to being high prices so I'm going to guess $225 clams.

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

I bid $132.28.

Even Though I paid substanially  less for mine...

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Quote from: McHeath on October 15, 2008, 07:11:37 PM
Wow what a pretty phone!  This guy markets well, it's up to 51 bucks and still has 7 days to go.  His auctions seem to being high prices so I'm going to guess $225 clams.

Reminds me Igliotto on radios. He gets these radios from who knows where, they look showroom mint, and he claims ORIGINAL finish, I just don't get it. I can bring phones up to a nice finish, but nothing like this.
I wonder how much of the good marketing is really good lighting ?

Dan/Panther

bingster

I've seen many 500s that were done this well.  It takes a LOT of polishing and sometimes even wet sanding, but they can, indeed, look this glassy.  They're really something to see.

Speaking of the 5302, did anybody see this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Western-Electric-5302-Telephone-302-Transition-Phone_W0QQitemZ270285557006QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270285557006&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You think it was used at a WE factory?  I actually had this one on my watch list, but totally forgot about it at the end.  Anybody grab it?
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

I was watching that one, too. Heck of a good price, and I really wish that I'd bid on it.

BDM

$69 grenn backs. Hmmm, I would have thought it would go for more than that. Not a bad price for a very nicely restored example.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I'm a bit surprised at that.  Shiny usually brings in the big bucks.

Congratulations to benhutcherson for his winning guess!

Stay tuned for the next auction contest, to be posted shortly.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

I'm shocked, my bid was twice that.
D/P