News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5H finger wheel paint

Started by novarlynx, March 08, 2016, 05:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novarlynx

Question.. what kind of paint finish did WE use on the 5H dial's finger wheel? Glossy like the #7 dial like on the 500, or matte?

I am restoring a 5H and most of the paint on the finger wheel was missing, so I used paint stripper to remove the rest. My matching dates 302W does not have a glossy finish on the finger wheel but that paint is also really old and may have lost it over time.
The digital PSTN is so boring now. I wish I could have experienced what it was like to use the Bell System with all its analog wonders.

Well, at least we have museums. Right?

WEBellSystemChristian

From the factory, I believe it was more of a semigloss. Over time, the paint is worn down and turns to many different finishes, but I believe all paint ending around the '50s or '60s was semigloss, but could easily turn gloss (and in my opinion looks better in gloss) with wear over time. I have a NOS black 500 from '52 with a semigloss fingerwheel, so I would assume that was what the paint looked like from the factory.

I use Rustoleum Gloss Black Lacquer for my fingerwheels; it dries very fast, holds up very well over time and looks great!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Ktownphoneco

The paint used originally on dial finger wheels from the factory, was the same as what was used to paint the 302 metal sets, which was what's commonly referred to as "Japan black", or "Japan lacquer".
I suspect it was also used by regional repair and refurbishing shops throughout the 1940's.       I don't think that the factory was specifically striving for a gloss or semi-gloss paint, but one that was quick, easy to apply and durable.    All things considered, it had a pleasing finish, and as it so happened, it had a more or less a semi-gloss finish.

I use one of three paints.   (1) as Christian has suggested, a Rustleum gloss black, which doesn't required a primer, (2) Rustoleum gloss black Automotive paint, that requires a primer, and I use Rustoleum self etching primer, (3) a custom mixed automotive gloss black, which is inserted into spray cans by an automotive supply shop.    The spray cans hold only the propellant until the paint mixture is loaded into the can.    The propellant filled cans are labeled "PlastiKote - Kustom-Kote", which is made by "Valspar Corp'n, Wheeling, IL.   This type of paint also requires a primer, and I use a self etching primer made by "Pro Form Products Ltd".       Out of the three paints, the Rustoleum gloss black is the easiest to use because of the fact it doesn't require a primer.
All 3 produce about the same gloss black finish, and so far, I've found them to be very durable.    Rustoleum paints are carried by the Home Depot, and "probably" Lowe's and perhaps Ace Hardware.
That's my 2 cents.

Jeff Lamb

Pourme

Thanks for this information. That was also my next question.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service