"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1243W Line Cord Hookups- Please Help!

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 12, 2014, 06:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I have a Stromberg C. 1243W which I cannot find a diagram for. I found one for the 1243, but when I try to connect it up like it says, it just gives a humming sound. Could anyone please tell me how to hook up a line cord to one?

Thank you,
Ben

Contempra

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=266&limit=20&order=hits&dir=DESC&Itemid=11

You have some détails about the wring for your phone. Just scroll down and you'll see what you looking for.. At least,, a similar model without " W " I don't know

WesternElectricBen

Contempra,

I don't that that will work because that is for a mod. 1182.

Ben

poplar1

Scroll down and you'll see 1243s. Line connects to L1 and L2.

Is this the same 1243 you had in July? That one was push-to-talk and you would hear "humming" on an idle line (or conversation, dialing or incoming ring on a busy line) until you press the bar labeled "Stromberg-Carlson." Or, an open transmitter will also do the same thing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Poplar1,

I have no clue, I will look for that. This is a wall phone.

I see, and that is what the other said, but it just doesn't work when you connect it up.

Now that I think about it though, it is possible they both have the same issue. So it is probably that I need to push down, but I don't think I've heard the dial tone on either.

Ben

G-Man

Isn't the 1243W a desk set that is capable of being wired for party-line monitoring via the Stromberg Carlson bar as popular1 has already stated?

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/pictures/?id=250811883

Even if it is not, the 1243 diagrams should be sufficient to guide you in connecting the line wires to the network terminals.

Contempra

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 12, 2014, 07:18:19 PM
Contempra,

Ben

I see this and I dowloaded for my personal reading (( 1242, 1243, 1247, 1250, 1242 43 Tl  )) and in red this model is there and may help you !.. boff !... follow what Poplar said ...he has a better explanation...The next time i will let the other members ............................... :o

G-Man

IF it is (optionally) wired for use with the two-step hookswitch then the humming sound is normal when you first come off-hook and the line is idle.

WesternElectricBen

Contempra, my apologizes, you were right.

I think I see what you guys are saying, and I should double check it has a two stage h.s.

So, lets say I do have a 2 stage, would I then push down the bar when I'm dialing?

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: Contempra on January 12, 2014, 07:58:26 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 12, 2014, 07:18:19 PM
Contempra,

Ben

I see this and I dowloaded for my personal reading (( 1242, 1243, 1247, 1250, 1242 43 Tl  )) and in red this model is there and may help you !.. boff !... follow what Poplar said ...he has a better explanation...The next time i will let the other members ............................... :o

Gêne toi pas--you found it first.

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 12, 2014, 08:16:42 PM
Contempra, my apologizes, you were right.

I think I see what you guys are saying, and I should double check it has a two stage h.s.

So, lets say I do have a 2 stage, would I then push down the bar when I'm dialing?

Ben

To call: You listen to make sure the line is free; then you push the bar to draw dial tone
To answer: You still have to push the bar.

G-Man

I can find 16 wiring diagrams for the 1243-series in the TCI Library but obviously I missing something since I am unable to find and reference to them in contempra's link.

Here are the instructions for converting the 1243 to two-step operation:

7. INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONVERSION TO TWO - STEP
  HOOKSWITCH   TYPE   TELEPHONE.

BEND TAB ON NAMPLATE LEVER INWARD.
  CONNECT BLUE OF HOOKSWITCH TO 10.

*CONNECT GREEN OF HANDSET TO 11. LEAVE ON 6 IF
  W.E.  DIAL IS USED.

CONNECT YELLOW OF HANDSET TO 5.
* CONNECT RED OF DIAL TO 11 IF STANDARD DIAL IS
  USED.

Quote from: Contempra on January 12, 2014, 07:07:12 PM
http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=266&limit=20&order=hits&dir=DESC&Itemid=11
You have some détails about the wring for your phone. Just scroll down and you'll see what you looking for.. At least,, a similar model without " W " I don't know

poplar1

SC 1243 2-step hookswitch was discussed here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9832.0

Instructions for converting a standard phone to 2-step:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2048-1243-50text-tl

1. Blue lead of hook switch from 4 to 9
2. Green lead of handset from 6 to 4
3. Yellow lead of handset from 10 to 6

If dial is used:
1. Change red lead from 5 to 11

There is also a tab on the back side of the bar that has to be bent out in order to make the hook switch open only one set of contacts until the bar is pressed.

poplar1

It appears there is more than one wiring method for 1243s.

G-Man

The instructions that I provided were provided by Stromberg Carlson. If the others work as well then of course that is also fine.

However I am still trying to see what I missed in relation to the link provided by contempra. Did I miss the 1243 reference?