News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don't own a 302 yet? Why not?

Started by Sargeguy, July 07, 2009, 02:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I don't know what you guys are waiting for (non-302 owners).  There are bargains to be had on eBay lately.  I just picked up a very clean date matched (except for cords) metal 302 from 1940 in super condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300323933685 ( dead link 04-13-21 )

This one was a bit of a sleeper, since it looks like a thermoplastic phone because of the lack of chipping on the cradle.  It had a relatively high starting price for a thermoplastic with no dial card retainer, which may have scared off bidders.  My bid was almost twice what it eventually went for.

It worked out of the box but I replaced the cords and put an overlay on the dial plate.  It did not require any cleaning.  I lubricated the dial although it worked smoothly anyway.  It looks like this phone was used sparingly during its service life.  The 50s era cords were too long for my taste, and I decided to go with cloth since its an older phone.  Will post pics soon/eventually.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

here is a decent looking metal 302 on there now with a BIN of $29.99, item  220448087231   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

foots

Wow, that's a great deal. I would love to get a metal body 302 one of these days. I recently got a Stromberg-Carlson 1243 in good working condition for under $20 but I never seem to come across those types of deals for the 302s or Kellogg red bars.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

It's the shipping costs that keep me from buying phones on ebay, although I still look.  But a 302 is on my list.  I have phones from the 30s, 50s, 60s, 70s, but no 40s.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

302's are hard to find in the Philippines. I can buy one if I want off at ebay but shipping would cost me alot.

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on July 08, 2009, 12:06:51 PM
302's are hard to find in the Philippines. I can buy one if I want off at ebay but shipping would cost me alot.

But on the other hand, you seem to find a lot of NECs.  I would like to get one like the one with the "art deco" design in place of the dial you posted in another thread.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 07, 2009, 02:39:49 AM
here is a decent looking metal 302 on there now with a BIN of $29.99, item  220448087231   

That's an example of what I'm talking about.  I would bid on it, maybe even BIN, but the shipping to my zip is $21.60. 
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Brinybay, you have to move closer to the midwest.  It's $12.75 to me.  That is always something I consider when I see one at an antique mall or someplace else---think of how much it would be with shipping added and then the price is easier to swallow.

Sargeguy

Ask them to send it flat rate.  It's metal, so it's not like its going to crack.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

Quote from: Brinybay on July 08, 2009, 02:31:44 PM
Quote from: mienaichizu on July 08, 2009, 12:06:51 PM

But on the other hand, you seem to find a lot of NECs.  I would like to get one like the one with the "art deco" design in place of the dial you posted in another thread.

that's the good thing, I already owned 3 of them

HobieSport

I usually ask sellers to ship flat rate, especially for metal phones.
-Matt