News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Will a Stromberg 1168 Candlestick and a Stromberg 687A Subset Work?

Started by gands-antiques, April 04, 2013, 08:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Will a Stromberg 1168 candlestick work with a later model Stromberg 687A subset and if so can you tell me how they should be wired?

Thanks,
Gary

twocvbloke

If the Stromberg 687A is the same as a WE 687A, then it's just a ringer box with no network, you'd need a 685A to make it into a proper subset for a candlestick phone... :)

poplar1

A 687A can be converted to a 685A by adding a network from a 500 set. The holes are already there. Using a modern subset will require some rewiring of the candlestick. A 5-conductor cord from the phone to the 685A/converted 687A is best, but there are diagrams on this site for using fewer conductors. All of these changes can be reversed if someone wants the phone and subset as they were.

Also, there have been recent sales on Ebay for SC metal subsets. "Atca" is one seller who has a lot of these he purchased from Telephone Engineering Co. of Simpson, PA when they closed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

The subset has a network.  I've added some pictures.  Thanks

===========================

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 04, 2013, 09:21:58 AM
If the Stromberg 687A is the same as a WE 687A, then it's just a ringer box with no network, you'd need a 685A to make it into a proper subset for a candlestick phone... :)

HowardPgh

That phone has the coil in the base, you might not need the subset.
Howard

gands-antiques

Thanks.  How would you recommend I wire the phone and the subset.

G-Man

Quote from: gands-antiques on April 04, 2013, 09:49:25 AM
The subset has a network.  I've added some pictures.  Thanks

===========================

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 04, 2013, 09:21:58 AM

A 687A is a ringer box containing only a ringer and capacitor.

A 685A is a subset containing both a ringer and a network.

Someone has added an ITT network to your 687A ringer box, creating a defacto 685A subset

gands-antiques

Will the candlestick and subset work and if so, what wiring diagram should I use to wire it.

Thanks,
Gary

Phonesrfun

The inside of the phone with the coil mounted there seems to be a modification from the original diagram that I see on the TCI website.  I don't own one of these phones so I have nothing to compare it to.  In the diagram, the coil is mounted in the subset and not inside the base of the phone.  The coil may be a gamble as to whether or not it would function.  Also, there is no capacitor inside the base of the phone.

Has someone previous to you tried to wire it to the (685A)(Converted 687)?  

If you are going to do this, my suggestion is that you wire it to the 685A subset and not use the coil that is inside the phone, since that coil may or may not be an original, and it may or may not be functional.  Not being a SC expert, I don't know if they did one with a coil in the phone base.

If you knew for sure the coil was good, you could just add a 2 mF condenser and hook it up without the 685 at all.  That is a possibility too, and an ohm meter would probably give you good information about the condition of the coil by measuring the resistances of the two windings.  Measurements would need to be made with the coil disconnected.

I cannot get my bearings to see which terminal inside your phone is which (number-wise), so if you could move the wire and show the hookswitch wires and the springs it would help.  Also the terminal numbers.  

Two important questions, however before starting are:

1.  Does the transmitter work.... Have you tested it in another circuit?
2.  Same question regarding the receiver.  The photo looks like the receiver is in pieces.

So, once you can get more information on a photo of the hookswitch and the terminal numbers, I can direct you to connecting it to the 685A
-Bill G

gands-antiques

Thanks Bill,

The candlestick and subset came together but they were not wired together when I got them. The receiver is complete, I just disassembled it because the wires were not connected inside it when I got it.

The more I think about it, I believe I will just leave the candlestick and subset as they are, hang on to them for awhile and work on one of my other telephones....probably the WE 653.

Thanks again,
Gary

Phonesrfun

I think that's a good idea.  Understand that you definitely can get the candlestick to work with that 685A subset, since all the subset needs is a transmitter, receiver and a hookswitch to work.  And that is what you have in the candlestick base, plus, of course, the coil.  It can be done, and would not be hard to do if we could see how the hookswitch is connected currently in the base that seems to have wires moved around.  So, if and when you want to do it, we can play around with it.  Just a matter of where you want to put the time and effort.
-Bill G

HowardPgh

Gary-Check out this diagram, I think it applies to your phone.
http://tinyurl.com/dxwh9hv
This from the TCI library
Howard

gands-antiques

Thanks.   It looks like the diagram indicates a magneto is required??

Gary

HowardPgh

Assuming your phone is wired like the diagram, the answer is probably yes.
You could eliminate the coil and rewire it as a "normal" phone as shown in some of the other diagrams.
I don't understand the logic of putting the coil in the base of the phone rather than putting it in the subset.
Howard

gands-antiques

I may just sell the candlestick alone and keep the subset.

Thanks