News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Free OTR Wednesday.

Started by Mr. Bones, May 05, 2014, 11:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

The OTR site that I have subscribed to for long about 6 years will be having an 'Open Day' this Wednesday, where non-members can have full access to the entire site, as I understand the emails from Ned and Joy. They currently have in excess of 25,000 titles.

Www.Rusc.com

I have no vested interest, other than being a very happy customer of theirs for quite some time, and they asked me to pass it along to any who might be potentially interested.

I have long "~45 yrs" fiddled with, repaired, collected and dabbled with Antique radios, and other tube amplifiers. Since my parents were born in 1922, and 1933, I got to hear lots of recollections (and recreations by them) of the classic shows, skits, bywords, catchphrases, etc., from the Golden Age of radio. They sent me down the right path...
     I started collecting OTR shows in the early '70's, on vinyl. Later, (73-74-ish) had access to a KPR radio host with an entire house full (!!!!!!) of shows on tape reels, who was kindly and tolerant of my youthful enthusiasm. He would record shows for me onto cassette, so I could listen on my trusty RS mono cassette recorder.

If anybody has any interest in having roughly 24 hrs to download some free OTR shows, please respond; I will post the site's link here. Otherwise, please feel free to disregard. ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Without resorting to Google...

OTR = Old Time Radio,  Over The Radio, or something else entirely?

In the Greater Vancouver area we had a guy named Jack Cullen who had an incredible collection of old radio programs from before TV. He worked for the local radio station and 7 nights a week he was on for 3 to 4 hours a night. I listened to him nightly when I was a teenager. This was in the late 60's and the 70's which wasn't likely normal teenager content but I played the sax in a dance band all through my teens and loved all the big band music that he played as well as the old radio programs.

There was a picture of him years ago in his studio on the air with a turquoise AE 880 speakerphone in front of him that he used for taking calls on a phone in portion of his show. I saw the picture again fairly recently but can't recall where. Will have to look for it again.

He apparently had over 300,000 records in his personal collection. He was on the air until 1999 when they put him out to pasture by switching to an all talk radio format. He died in 2002. RIP Jack Cullen.

Terry

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 05, 2014, 11:33:01 PM
Without resorting to Google...
OTR = Old Time Radio
In the Greater Vancouver area we had a guy named Jack Cullen who had an incredible collection of old radio programs from before TV. He worked for the local radio station and 7 nights a week he was on for 3 to 4 hours a night. I listened to him nightly when I was a teenager. This was in the late 60's and the 70's which wasn't likely normal teenager content but I played the sax in a dance band all through my teens and loved all the big band music that he played as well as the old radio programs.
Very similar story, including the big band music; as you said, somewhat (very) atypical for the times, but it floated my boat. Still listen to Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Louis Jordan, Jimmy & Tommy Dorsey, Bing, Andrews Sisters, and many more daily, both while commuting, and at home. Listen to lots of other stuff, too. BUT, they are always in the mix, as a major early influence on my music. Still are, I almost always hear something new, some nuance that makes them even better than before.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

My dad (born 1921) worked his way through college playing in jazz bands.  He put together bands where ever he was during the war (New Guinea for instance!) and played the violin and various horns into his old age.

His music was significant presence in my life.

I was a rock and roll drummer in the 1960s (I still have the same drum kit) and when my father's band had a drummer shortage, I would sit in with his group.  It was a lot of fun and it really formed a bridge between the generations for us.

I think that the "golden age of radio" offered a lot of good music and other great programming.

(Edited on 5-7-14 to correct grammar.)

Mr. Bones

As of 2126 today, I haven't rec'd a final confirmation from Ned,;he said there would be one more before 'free day'. The site, as edited in above, is
www.rusc.com.

Nick, it sounds like many of us have some pretty similar musical interests, and backgrounds. Maybe a CRPF Band in the making? ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Not quite totally free. Requires a "like" on Facebook, and all the access to FB available information they may want, if more than just a generous "get to know us" offer.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: TelePlay on May 07, 2014, 06:56:27 AM
Not quite totally free. Requires a "like" on Facebook, and all the access to FB available information they may want, if more than just a generous "get to know us" offer.
Agreed. I don't do facebook, so I don't know what all that entails, but the main reason is to protect my personal information.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Nick in Manitou

Mr. Bones,

If we put together a CPRF band of folks from the forum, would we play CPRF (pronounced 'surphff') music?

Nick

AE_Collector

Ya got it backwards...it is C R P F.  So it will be Crappff music.

Terry

Nick in Manitou

Terry, you're correct! 

From both the phonetic and probably the qualitative point of view as well!

Nick

Mr. Bones

No worries, Lads!

We'll make for quality with volume; been done for decades now! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus