News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 strange symptom

Started by Jack Aman, May 15, 2018, 07:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Aman

Need some advice, guys.  I grabbed a clean-looking WE 302 (metal body) in a junk shop.  Bargain at fifteen dollars.  Stamped "no ringer" on the bottom and indeed there is no ringer.  I attached a modular cord at L1 and L2 and plugged it in.  I hear background hum but no dial tone.  Hook switch silences/restores background hum.  Here's the odd thing.   Dial turns and returns nice and smooth.  When it completes it's return, bing! There is a nice loud, clear dial tone...for about 2-3 seconds, then gone.  Again and again.  Duration of the "tease tone" exactly the same every time.  I'm stumped.   Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Key2871

It sounds like a wiring problem, check the dial make sure the make break switch is in good adjustment, as well as the contacts that shunt the receiver. Even though the dial spins nice it may have contact issues.
KEN

Jack Aman

Switch hook seems to open/close properly.  Discovered that shorting L1 and L2 (clumsy screwdriver point) also brings the "tease tone" just like dial return does.

LarryInMichigan

The dial contacts are probably not closing properly.

Larry

Jack Aman

Can I wire it to exclude the dial and just use as extension?

Key2871

Yea, just bypass the ones that pulse as the dial returns. But I don't think that's going to cure the problem. Is there a capacitor in the set? What terminals is it connected to.
Because a miswired or bad cap can cause the same problem, and it just maybe the pulsing of the dial contacts are causing the cap to discharge just long enough to get a dial tone, then when it charges again the tone goes away.
I would for starters just disconnect one lead from a terminal and see what happens. Just keep in mind where it was before you moved it.
KEN

kleenax

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 15, 2018, 08:10:01 PM
The dial contacts are probably not closing properly.

Larry
Yep; dial problem. Replace the dial or refurb.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

poplar1

If it is the dial pulsing contacts (Y-BK), then moving the black handset wire from BK on dial to L2 on the induction coil will bypass the dial (and line switch). Do you have dial tone now?

If not, then it is more likely an open black handset wire, a missing transmitter unit, or the transmitter contacts are pushed down too far (inside the handset).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Aman

The center contact was indeed pushed down and not making contact with the center of the transmitter cartridge.  Bent it up into proper position and the phone functions perfectly.  Thank you so much!  I'm amazed at your knowledge.