News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found - WANTED: Battery Box for WE Standard 2-Boxer

Started by magicbrain, July 25, 2018, 02:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

I am looking for a battery box for a WE standard 2-boxer (111C type backboard) that attaches with two clips as pictured - approximate size is 7" x 10"

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce

wds

Like this one?  I think mine is walnut.
Dave

Sargeguy

I just traded one of those, with the 240-type backboard, last week. It came with my glass front TYPE 32 and I didn't need it once I got the tandem.  I would not call that a 240 battery box.  The ones made for 240s opened from the top and the writing shelf was kept in place with a screw in the front.  That is a standard 2-boxer battery box.  Many of those were converted to 240s, and they used that box on some 240s, but the 240 box is different.

Here is a picture.  The box is shortened because there is no battery tray.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

magicbrain

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 25, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
I would not call that a 240 battery box.  The ones made for 240s opened from the top and the writing shelf was kept in place with a screw in the front.  That is a standard 2-boxer battery box.  Many of those were converted to 240s, and they used that box on some 240s, but the 240 box is different.

Ok, I get it - since this is just a converted type 21 top box (stamped 240E inside) attached to a 111C backboard with the battery tray, I am looking for a standard battery box.
Bruce

magicbrain

Quote from: wds on July 25, 2018, 06:20:34 PM
Like this one?  I think mine is walnut.

Is it for sale? I thought I needed one in oak because the top box is oak - However the backboard appears to be walnut, so this would do.
Bruce

Sargeguy

The one wds has is from a 3-boxer from the looks of it.  t fits over a much smaller tray.  If you need a walnut 2-boxer battery box I have one.  I think it needs to be re-glued.  Send a picture of your backboard and battery tray. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

magicbrain

The 111C backboard is 8" wide X 33" long - the shadow of the battery box on the backboard measures about 7" X 10"

I removed the battery tray & am soaking it to remove the heavy rust - it exactly like the one pictured & measures 6" X 6"

Bruce

Sargeguy

Here is a comparison of the different types of battery boxes found on two and 3-box telephones. The one on the left is a Walnut box from a Western Electric 2 boxer with a type 21 magneto top box and a #5 transmitter arm. The center box is from a three boxer which originally had a Blake transmitter..   The one on the right is from a 240 that had a #10 arm. It is the same as the one you are looking for I believe. As you can see, the boxes from the 2-boxers are identical, while the box from the 3-boxer is narrower.  The next picture shows a side-by-side comparison of what I'm calling the "standard" 2-boxer battery box and the shorter "240 box".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

magicbrain

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 27, 2018, 08:23:58 PM
Here is a comparison of the different types of battery boxes found on two and 3-box telephones. The one on the left is a Walnut box from a Western Electric 2 boxer with a type 21 magneto top box and a #5 transmitter arm. The center box is from a three boxer which originally had a Blake transmitter..   The one on the right is from a 240 that had a #10 arm. It is the same as the one you are looking for I believe. As you can see, the boxes from the 2-boxers are identical, while the box from the 3-boxer is narrower.  The next picture shows a side-by-side comparison of what I'm calling the "standard" 2-boxer battery box and the shorter "240 box".

Thanks for providing this info & pictures - and yes, what you are calling the "standard" 2-boxer battery box (on the left & right in your picture) is the one I need, in walnut - measuring approximately 7" W X 10" L  & deep enough fit over a 6" X 6" battery tray.
Bruce