News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Toaster phone - your thoughts please

Started by FABphones, September 13, 2018, 06:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This has come up, I know nothing about these so would value your thoughts on this one.
It's outside the US and it's about $99 plus shipping.

All and any info needed - is it the correct handset? dial? What is the writing on the underside...

Thanks for any info, if this one not right it all helps me learn for the next one.  :)

Photos:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

That is probably a Connecticut US Army Signal Corps TP-6-A, which is electrically the same as a WE302.  The handset looks like a Western Electric F1, which is incorrect for the phone.  Here in the USA, those "toaster" phones generally sell for much less than $99, but they are quite heavy, being made of heavy gauge aluminum, so shipping one from here to the UK would likely cost plenty.  Unless the one in the picture can be shipped to you for a few pounds, I would suggest waiting for another.  The one in the picture looks like it is not in best condition.

The dial might be correct.  I do not know.  At least some were supplied with FTR dials.  That dial looks like an AE.  The logo which looks like a triangle in a square is the US Army Signal Corps logo, and an "MFP" stamp indicates the date when the phone was moisture and fungus proofed.  There would have been a metal plate with a wiring diagram on it riveted to the bottom of the phone.

Larry

FABphones

Thanks. These don't come up much, first one I've seen EU.

Handset says Western Electric Company. Looks like three (rounded?) letters underneath but I can't make them out. I know of F1W handsets, this might be one. But they were never originally on this phone?

Some more photos:

LarryInMichigan

There were probably quite a few of those in western Europe on US military bases.  I expect though, that you could get a nicer one from the USA for less than the $99 price, even with the high overseas postage rate.  With the ebay global shipping program, shipping might be more reasonable.  There are probably a few forum members with spare toaster phones available.

Larry

FABphones

I think the weight might unfortunately make shipping from the US a tad high. I guess the seller needs to half his price...

Thanks for the info.  :)

LarryInMichigan

I weighed my toaster phone at 6lb 10oz, and the USPS wants $75 to ship that weight to the UK.  That is very expensive, but it might still come out less than the $99 phon ein the EU.

Larry

rdelius

The handsets used on these sets were made of  poor quality plastic so it was replaced with what would work

Partyline4

The chrome one's are beautiful! I remember I was chasing one a few months ago, and they usually sold for 90 - 100. You can pick up exceptional black models for around 45 - 75. 99 is a bit high on the mark for one of those phones.

Guts are like a 302.

rdelius

Remember the chrome is aftermarket and can vary in quality. Good chrome plating is expensive and difficult to get because of EPA regulations.

FABphones

I have now been offered this phone for approximately half of its original price. Shipping is about $18.

If I decide to buy, it's missing its centre dial card retainer (see pic). I'm wondering if a member can point me to a supplier that will post to the UK. I have a couple of phones that are missing these (what exactly should I be asking for)?

If you can help, please p.m. or post here. They should fit into a small jiffy bag so postage shouldn't be too high? Thanks.

rdelius

I would think the dial number card assy should be easy to get in Europe. ATEA sets used a local version of this dial and the parts will interchange

FABphones

Quote from: rdelius on October 22, 2018, 05:13:00 PM
I would think the dial number card assy should be easy to get in Europe. ATEA sets used a local version of this dial and the parts will interchange

Thanks. I'll look into that.

LarryInMichigan

The dial center parts weigh almost nothing, so I would think that it should be possible to mail them to the UK from the USA or Canada in a standard first class envelope.  They are not difficult to find for sale here.

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 23, 2018, 09:13:17 AM
The dial center parts weigh almost nothing, so I would think that it should be possible to mail them to the UK from the USA or Canada in a standard first class envelope.  They are not difficult to find for sale here.

Larry

Thank you for the reply. I thought they would weigh light too but I've been quoted some silly prices so far. If anyone has any could they please p.m. me. I'm having no luck finding them in the EU. Ebay prices I have seen so far are high, especially on the shipping (between $12 and $22).

Also, I have seen them for sale as a single circular surround, to four parts. I have no idea how these fit, which do I need?

Thanks again.

TelePlay

Quote from: FABphones on October 23, 2018, 10:01:39 AM
Thank you for the reply. I thought they would weigh light too but I've been quoted some silly prices so far. If anyone has any could they please p.m. me. I'm having no luck finding them in the EU. Ebay prices I have seen so far are high, especially on the shipping (between $12 and $22).

Also, I have seen them for sale as a single circular surround, to four parts. I have no idea how these fit, which do I need?

Thanks again.

Regular Member Post

I have shipped very light weight, 302 dial gaskets to the UK for a few dollars in postage but the item has to be taken to the post office, this pricing is not available online.

A first class, 1 ounce letter to the UK (postal zone 5) costs $1.15.

But, a number card holder is both not flexible and greater than 1/4" thick in the envelope and that raises the price to the USPS first class "package" price of $2.20 for 1 ounce, $3.23 for up to 2 ounces and $4.16 for up to 3 ounces. It seems like each additional ounce raises the postage about $0.90.

If you can find someone, a forum or ATCA member, willing to sell one to you for a reasonable price (number card holders for both WE and AE are indeed no longer cheap on the open market, eBay etc.) and take the envelope to the post office, it can be done for much less than eBay shipping costs.

(The above prices are USPS site current as of 10/23/2018)

Removal/installation show here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5833.msg70508#msg70508

AE complete kit from Old Phone Works:  http://www.oldphoneworks.com/automatic-electric-dial-card-kit.html