News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Like New WE Manual 302

Started by Doug Rose, December 02, 2018, 08:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got this yesterday. I saw it when it was listed and said I do not need another black 302. I kept going back to it and finally bought it as the E1 looked great. I was surprised it hung around so long at $46. What I thought were chips in the paint on the base were paint drops. This cleaned up wonderfully.

It looks brand new!! Minor rubs by the ears. The paint has the great new paint shine. It is dated 10 40.....SEVENTY EIGHT Years old. Line cord was shot, added a modular black to test. It works like a champ. I have another Manual 302 with an E1 with the same thick rubber handset cord.

I just added the dial card...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-E1-Weatern-Electric-Intercom-Phone/332901656644

?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

FABphones

Very nice.  :)

As you know, my knowledge limited re phones on that side of the Atlantic. Were they issued with an E1?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ....the early 302s in 1937 had an E1 and a 4H dial. This being 1940, I am not sure how it got on there. Was WE using up old parts or did a Tech add it. Both the E1 and the 302 show little signs of use....Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

Doug, you are on a 302 roll.... Very nice!  we'll wait to see what you find next.
Paul

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 02, 2018, 08:32:31 AM
CJ....the early 302s in 1937 had an E1 and a 4H dial. This being 1940, I am not sure how it got on there. Was WE using up old parts or did a Tech add it. Both the E1 and the 302 show little signs of use....Doug
It is possible, during the war years, that a field tech replaced the handset with an E.
It is also possible that the set was assembled with the E due to war shortages.
Those are  the only official reasons that I can think of for them to put an E on a 1940 302.
Unofficially, someone  may of cobbled it together to make a phone. I knew a local collector, that would cobble together old phones into  working  Frankenphones, These sets were sold  locally at antique stores.
Just some thoughts,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: FABphones on December 02, 2018, 08:17:56 AM
Very nice.  :)

As you know, my knowledge limited re phones on that side of the Atlantic. Were they issued with an E1?

Doug, what is the date on the D2D mounting (line) cord? If it is 1940, then probably original to the phone. If the phone had been returned from the field to be refurbished at the WE repair shop (Service Center), the original D2D cord would more than likely have been replaced. So you may find even plastic 302s with E1E handsets, and/or dials converted from 2A to 4H (often with newer "twin contacts" (bifurcated).

Handsets were issued with cords, whether new or refurbished. So, the H3AD cord is probably 1946 or later. The older 1930-1934 E1B handsets with 395B transmitter were upgraded to E1E with 625A xmtrs (including F1 transmitter unit), whether in the field or in the repair shop. E1E handsets were acceptable for residential use in Zone 1 (near the central office) even as late as 1957.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on December 02, 2018, 12:02:56 PM

Handsets were issued with cords, whether new or refurbished.
E1E handsets were acceptable for residential use in Zone 1 (near the central office) even as late as 1957.

Cool,
I learned a couple of things today.
Were  attached cords  standard procedure on all WE models of hardwired handsets?
I am surprised that E's were still acceptable in 1957. Do you know when they stopped production of the E style handset?
Great tidbits of info,
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

As far as I know, the handset cord was always furnished with the handset.  For example, F1A-3 handset is a black handset with H3C cord (rubber conductors and textile jacket), the standard for most new 302s. F1G-3 is a black handset with H3AG cord (neoprene jacketed cord found on many reissued 302s).

I have seen at least one E1 handle dated 1939, but there don't seem to be many after 1937.

Here is a table from BSP C32.111, issue 2, 12-1-37 (TCI library). Note that under the "cords" column, only the mounting cord and the jumpers for  the dial are listed, because the handset assembly code already includes the handset cord.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

oldguy

Another winner. Good job Doug. Your phones got me interested in manuals. I have a D1/202 & a 302.
Gary

Doug Rose

I have always loved the look of the manual set.  With FIOS and comcast not allowing rotary dial, the manuals are now in vogue....Doug
Kidphone

Butch Harlow

That really is beautiful. I am a big fan of the manual sets and the e1 handset is just about my favorite thing.
Butch Harlow