News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Started as which is the right magneto, found one, was damaged in shipping, now need help fixing it

Started by xtal_01, March 04, 2019, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

So, the more I read, the more I learn ... sigh ....

I bought a Leich wall magneto phone to hook together with my Federal wall magneto phone.

I thought it was "untouched" ... well not so.

In the member area of TCI I found a 1918 Leich catalog.

https://www.telephonecollectors.org/memberArea/MemberDocs/LEICH_1918_Tel_No._17_Catalog_jl_TciMembers.pdf

On page 4, there is my phone!  The original paper tag is still nailed to the inside ... 105A  ... 1600 ... Mar 9  19?9  ( .. side note ... 1919 or 1929 ???)

Guess what, it should have a 5 bar magnet in it ... not a three bar!  And sure enough, there is holes for a larger magnet in the shelf.

The magnetos are shown on page 16 of the catalog.

So, I am really trying to keep all my phones as original as possible.

I just ordered a new receiver from Phonecon (talked with Mary for about a half hour today).  Didn't think I needed one but when I got the phone, I found the threads were stripped and the cap was cracked in half.

I also got a new cord for it.

So now I need the "correct" magneto (more money ... sigh).

So, I did a quick ebay search.  There are two listings for Leich 5 bar magnetos.  They are both different looking so I am not sure which is correct.  One is missing the crank (of course it is the one I think might be correct).  Is it hard for find a crank (I can use mine on this mag but would still need one for the 3 bar just so I can use it for display)?

Here is the link for both.  One has an aluminum plate (as is shown in the catalog) that says Cracraft Leich on it.  Even though this is what is shown in the catalog, it may be too early for my phone.  If my phone is dated 1919 or 1929 (help) the company had already changed it's name to just Leich rather then Cracraft Leich.  Or would they have kept this plate for a number of years after they changed the name?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cracraft-Leich-Electric-Magneto-Vintage-Crank-Phone-Parts-/323710665826
( dead link 05-15-21 )

The other has no plate on it ... or is the plate just missing or ?????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Working-Western-Electric-5-Bar-Magneto-from-a-ringer-box-/264232253635
( dead link 05-15-21 )

So, before I make any more mistakes ... HELP!

Can anyone please tell me if either of these the right magneto for my phone?

Is $50 - $60 a good price for a magneto?

The one says "working" .. the other says the gets a "jolt".

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have attached a few pictures.

Mike

Sargeguy

Cranks are interchangeable.  Telco's swapped out magnetos based upon their needs.  I am not sure which 5-bar would be "correct"
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

Some wooden sets had both sets of holes drilled so larger magnetos could be easily installed

xtal_01

I actually though exactly that .... the magneto depended on how far way you are from the operator.

Then I read toooooo much.  It seems the part number 105A in a Leich phone means 5 bar magnet.  103A would be a 3 bar magnet.

I am sure as you said that the would get switched out over the years depending on where it was installed but from the factory, with that tag, it should have a 5 bar magnet.

As I said, I just don't want to make another mistake and buy the wrong one.

Man I have a lot to learn about phones!  I have a Leich convertible and and AE-40 driving me nuts also!

Attached is a part of the page that shows the part number and magneto it should have.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Mike

Key2871

I have a Western 317C that has holes for a three bar, as well as a five bar. If your not planning on ringing a phone a few miles away I think your three bar should work just fine.
Have you tested it to see if it works?

From what I've read regarding magnets, five bar was used in very long distance lines, about ten miles or so. Three bar were very common because the runs were relatively short a mile or two. And worked well in signalling the switch board.
I could be wrong, I'm sure there is someone else who will tell me so. But that's what I remember from what I read don't ask how many years ago..
KEN

xtal_01

First, I must state that I have never seen a magneto phone except in a museum behind glass ... so I am learning on the fly!

I did get my two phones wired together ... and they do ring each other!!!!!!!!

I can't try talking yet as I need a receiver (ordered from Mary at Phoneco and on the way .. along with new cords) and some batteries.  *** side note, anyone have some battery artwork they want to "share" ... found some labels for sale but I need 4 and $14 each for just the artwork seems a bit steep***

I do agree .. the will work.   I am only going about 200 ft ... between my shop and the house.

I am just being a "pain in the A##".  I am one of these guys who like things as close to original as possible.

Since the part number on the phone means "5 bar" ... I want a 5 bar in the phone.

I even made sure the receiver I found had "Leich" on it even thought I could have gotten a generic one for 1/4 the price.

I didn't realize PDF's don't show up so I attached a JPG of the page showing the part number and the magneto it should have.

Thanks so much again .... Mike

Key2871

Well don't we all when we first start out? It's all a process, soak it up like a sponge. But enjoy it, cuz it's fun!

Ken
KEN

RB

Hi Mike.
Hang in there! it gets much more complicated as you go. lol.
I too have been readin, listenin, gatherin as much data as possible.
And, I still frequently stick my foot in my mouth, cause I think I understand everything,
and then someone points out a flaw in my theory.
Oh well, still learnin!
It looks like both of your choices for a mag would work.
both sets of mounting holes look the same, and the switch looks similar also.
So, imho, either may work, it is just which config is accurate for your phone.
I have a few desk top leichs, very easy to work with.
Good luck in your endeavor! lots of help around here! :)

Key2871

There was a guy selling reusable battery's on eBay that looked just like the old style and had C or D size battery holders inside to give power. Those were pretty cool looking,

Try:  https://www.radiolaguy.com/Batteries/Vintage_Batteries.htm
KEN

Key2871

Get a couple of those and your golden.
It's all a learning curve, sometimes it's confusing. Others it's not so bad. Good thing is, there's a lot of knowledge here to help you with those problems.
KEN

xtal_01

Thank goodness for this form! and the TCI site!

Last fall I had to learn all about party lines and frequency ringers (got a Kellogg 1000 and an AE 40 .. both with frequency ringers ....hmmmm).  I did finally find the correct ones on ebay and got both of them up and running (using a DialGizmo).

I am a machinist by trade and a DYI guy .... just took 5 years to build and accessible house ... my wife was paralyzed from the shoulders down in a diving accident when she was 12  ... I even built an elevator out of a forklift.

I love these old phone ... and for the most part they make sense to me.

So, still a few questions:

1) How old is my phone?  I can't read the date on the tag ..... one guy said 1899 (If I am right this is impossible) ... I think 1919 or 1929, but which one?

2) I agree, either of these magnetos will work and fit the 4 holes in my box ... but how do I know with one is the "more correct" one ... and maybe just get the one with the plate (my guess is the plate comes off band becomes a the later model ... but I want someone to confirm this)?

3) Is there anyone who is an "expert" who can tell me which is the correct version of the magneto to go into this phone?

I truly appreciate all the help!!!!!!!!!!

Almost forgot ... I did see those labels ... looks like he is charging $28 for two ... ouch!  I found some "free" battery labels but not older 1920 ones yet.  Still looking.

Thanks again ..... Mike

plymouthrod

I believe you are looking for a 5 bar Leich mag that will have the very short 4 screw mounting pattern. Another specific thing about Leich mags is the long vertical line stamped in the middle of each magnet and the magnets were painted flat black. I believe that your correct magneto would not have had a name tag attached to the magnets. The mags come up for auction often on ebay and I hope this info helps you. By the way the 2nd magneto you posted a pic of with the gray magnets is a Western Electric 48 A.

xtal_01

Thanks!

I "think" I have one coming.

The contacts look exactly like my 3 bar Leich.

It does have a short 4 hole pattern but is 5 bars.

It does have grooves in the magnets.

The seller said it is a Leich.

Attached is a picture of the magneto.

Did I get the right one or ?

Mike

Key2871

Mike, it wasn't the labels that were $28.00, I believe it was the pair of batteries, that you open and put C or D cell batteries in to give you power. Yea they are a bit pricey, but when they wear down you just replace the cells inside then your good to go again. He also sells them on eBay.
The concept is great, the not so much but consider the parts and engineering that go into them.
KEN

xtal_01

Guess I am still looking for a magneto ...

This one just came in the mail .... looks like a truck ran over it!

The gear is bent over and out of round, the contacts took and even the mounting screws are bent!

Anyone got a 5 bar Leich magneto for sale?

Mike