News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dad's Emerson Radio

Started by McHeath, December 06, 2008, 04:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Okay, here is the radio my dad bought in 43'.

The case is kinda beat up, crack on the top, no handle, big gouges on the back.  It's got the five tubes that you all mentioned, and no transformer that I know of it just plugs in.  Story goes he bought it in Rockford Ill with his first paycheck working at a cannery after he ran away from home at age 13.  Now like a lot of family tales that may or may not be entirely accurate, though the ran away at age 13 is and he never moved back with his folks until later in his teen years.  I can't find anything that gives an exact date, but then maybe those numbers on the metal thing in the one picture are some sort of date code.  Anybody know anything about these radios?

bingster

It's McHeath's radio.  You're welcome from me, anyway. ;D
= DARRIN =

BDM

Looks like what you have is a model 646B AC/DC set. Seems it came in several colors. Follow the model numbers to your in the link.
http://radioatticarchives.com/archive.php?page=e3

This set uses miniature tubes which are series string filaments. Don't ever pull a tube, then put it back in while the set is on. This could cause tube damage from the surge. That would be a good first time set for restoration. Easy to do.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Ah, the plot thickens.  So the radio dates to 1950, interesting, but not surprising.  The tale of the radio was told to me by mom after dad died and I was given it, so clearly some info was wrong on when it was bought.  1950 still has my father living here and there, he would have been 20, and it was the year before he was drafted and sent to Korea.  Hmm.

Now when I plug it in all I get is static.  There is a wire for an external antenna as well as the internal all wound up on the back cover, touching the external antenna wire gets louder static.  I've had it for about 12 years and it's always pretty much done the same thing.  Where do I start getting it to tune in?

BDM

Hard to say without looking at it. First thing I do is recap them along with replacing the filter caps(a MUST!). Bringing it up slowly on a variac. Where are you at? Maybe someone locally can look at it.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Wow, I have no idea what recapping, filters, bypass caps and a variac are.  I'll need to do some research to get up to speed on the radios.  What's a good place to read up on the web? 

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Wow, I have no idea what recapping, filters, bypass caps and a variac are.  I'll need to do some research to get up to speed on the radios.  What's a good place to read up on the web? 

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  ;)

BDM

Start here
http://www.antiqueradios.com/

The forum is a great place for those questions. Plus look at the resource links.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath

Yeah, go ahead and take the plunge, Heath.  These radios are cool.  Check out my first radio project:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=365.0

While the Zenith Trans-Oceanics may not have the warmth and charm of a nice polished wooden case (or bakalite in your case) they sure look well made, functional and durable.  There are lots of them on Ebay at any given time in various conditions at reasonable prices.  Radios just seem to go hand in hand with the phones... :)

Dan/Panther

Hobiesport;
Giuard the 1L6 tube with your life it's very expensive.
if your radio works on the AM Band, but not the upper bands, it's most likely the 1L6 is bad. Burt they can cost your more than what the radio did.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson