and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1951 Zenith Super Trans-Oceanic H500 Short Wave Radio

Started by HobieSport, December 08, 2008, 06:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 16, 2008, 12:01:36 AM
BDM;
Did you have to do any realigninmg after you installed the SS replacement ?
D/P

Yup. If I remember correctly, the higher bands went high. Of course all bands were effected. But the higher the frequency, the worse it was effected.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

No, no problems. Worked fine. I say worked because I removed it from the set I restored, now I can't find it >:(
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Where do I get a decent SS unit to replace a 1L6?

Dan/Panther

On ebay the guy sells 3 models of it. the original small circuit board, one built inside a small tube, and one I suggested, inside a tube with a small under powered wheat bulb for an orange glow. About $30.00.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Yup, seems like cost has gone up a little.

http://tinyurl.com/5tqe8d ( dead link 05-18-21 )

The way I see it. Reasonable 1L6 tubes can still be had. Don't bother right now, especially if your tube is good.

(Note, I shrank the web address down with tinyurl as it was making the page too long-  Mcheath) 
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

If the 1L6 is causing the problem of dead shortwave as Dan mentioned, will the tube still test as good?  I'm having that problem now.  I cleaned the heck out of the contacts in the tower, but it didn't help at all.  BC comes through like a champ, though.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on December 17, 2008, 10:08:56 AM
If the 1L6 is causing the problem of dead shortwave as Dan mentioned, will the tube still test as good?  I'm having that problem now.  I cleaned the heck out of the contacts in the tower, but it didn't help at all.  BC comes through like a champ, though.

Are all the SW bands dead? Usually a weak 1L6 will stop oscillating as you go higher in frequency. Also, what is the filiment voltage (DC) between pins 1 & 7 of the 1L6 tube?
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Part of the problem is that I'm hobbled when it comes to testing, right now.  The leads on my voltmeter need attention before I can use it again, and my tube tester doesn't test miniature tubes.  I was thinking that taking the tube to be tested might be worth the trouble, though.

The SW bands are all pretty much dead.  Sometimes on the lower frequencies, the signal will break in, but it's rare.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Could be a possible alignment issue. More likely, it may be low B+ to the filaments.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill

Might want to revisit that "B+ to the filaments" idea.

Bill

PSGreg

Hey, just realized I have one of these too.  Had it for years but I don't think mine works either.  I'm not sure which model number it is.  All I know for sure is that it's covered in brown material instead of black. I'll have to dig it out now and see what's up.
Best,
          Greg

Bill

Whoa, if the brown material is leather, then you have a much more valuable radio! Not enough to change your retirement plans, but still very nice - and very expensive.

Bill

bingster

= DARRIN =