News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RCA Radio

Started by wds, April 21, 2012, 12:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Dave....one obsession at a time. There is no room in the phone room for new phones, so a big ole radio is definely out of the question. I think it will go the way of eBay next week. BUT it is so cool....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Well....I got brave this morning and plugged it in. Loud and clear with no STATIC!  I got a music station and sounded really nice for AM and a radio older than I am. Only issue I found is I could only scan the lower half of the radio dial, 700 down. I didn't want to force anything. Really Nice Radio!!....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Grabbed another radio, this time wood.  Picked it up for about $40, then refinished it.  Before and after pictures.  Everything on the radio works, including the light for the radio tuner.  It's new home is on this dresser I picked up at an Estate Sale.  I just happened to be driving out of the neighborhood on Saturday morning and stopped by an estate sale a couple streets from my house and picked up this dresser and matching wash stand.  Connersville Furniture Manufacturing Co.  Still trying to determine a date, but I think it's late 1800's.  Makes for a nice display setting for the radio, and of course a couple candlesticks.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

That is a nice looking radio from the late 40s or early 50s with a built-in Telechron clock.  I would suggest cleaning and oiling the clock movement because they tend to become clogged with sticky oil and dirt, and that causes the metal parts to grind each other.  The capacitors in the radio should be replaced for safety reasons.

Larry

AE40FAN

Since we are talking about vintage radios here are before and after photos of my 1948 RCA 75x12.  

wds

very sharp.  Is the front grille nickel plated?
Dave

AE40FAN

Brass frame and dial bezel.  The grill itself is some kind of painted plastic with a slight sheen.