News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Voltage requirements for the 8A buzzer

Started by Babybearjs, March 02, 2018, 01:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I just installed a 8A buzzer in my alarm cabinet and went to pull up the info on it. Found the installation instructions, but not the electrical requirements... does anyone know what the voltage is for this buzzer.... 10, 18, or 24? it is an AC buzzer, so that parts covered.... I went to test it and got nothing.
John

Payphone installer

I wired those up like 35 years ago on payphones in beautie shops I was thinking we used a princess transformer but can't remember. I am sure it was DC.

Babybearjs

I finally discovered the right voltage! it's line voltage. I wired it up with a capacitor inline and connected it to my phone line. when called, it rattled with the ringing cycle! so... for those wondering.... the 8A switchboard buzzer runs off the phone line and is wired exactly like a regular 2 wire ringer.
John

CanadianGuy

I'm pretty sure ringing voltage is about 90v AC superimposed over the -48v DC. It gives a pretty good zap if you're working in the rain or snow and happen to brush up against it with wet skin!

Babybearjs

I've gotten shocked on the phone line before... but whats worse is when you are wiring a wall switch with the power ON, and you put the ground wire in your mouth to hold it out of the way and come in contact with the live black wire! learned real quick to turn the power OFF! when working on such a simple project!
John

CanadianGuy

Are you kidding? :o You must be pulling our legs. That's a death wish right there.

Key2871

For me, a person who has worked in maintenance for years... YOU should always shut the circuit power OFF and mark the panel before attempting to do repair on line voltage.
Your very lucky your haven't been killed.
I worked on a lathe once, a electrician wired hot to ground and vise versa. So if I had my hand on the lathe and pressed the starter button to turn either on or off, I got electrocuted.
That was not funny at all. Line voltage is no joke, neither is ring current. So unplug, disconnect before you service.
KEN

Babybearjs

and so I was reminded! this happened back in 1998 in my first home. thinking I could wire the switch live, and forgot about the ground! silly me! it just charged my battery a bit more... I guess it worked... I'm still here! anyway, thank you for the comments and I'm glad I finally got that damned buzzer hooked up and working. I am still working out all the cross-connects that I have. I've gotten all the buzzers up and working and still have to order some more 24V LED bulbs in White. I'm really glad this project is done for now. its so fun working on these things... if I find the right app cabinet, I might just reinstall the 3 208KTU's I took out of service! but thats for another time... Stay safe everyone! Its now Winter! (and the S.E. is feeling it!)
John

Key2871

Years ago I was working on telephone wires at a friends house. I was told I was not allowed to disconnect them from the CP, because he didn't want his grandmother to know that I was working on the phones. The problem was some one just kept splicing new extensions on, with out regard for home runs. So if a couple phones went off hook the signal was weaker along the line. While twisting a pair together I got zapped, I said to my friend who looked at me funny, some ones calling in. He said how do you know? I felt it, I said.. it's not as bad a line voltage, but it does have a bite.
KEN

Babybearjs

oh yeh, I've experienced that with the phone lines... thinking its low voltage, only to get zapped! even the KTU's can be dangerous! those caps pack quite a punch! there are times when I forget to unplug the system while I'm working on it and blow a fuse, or get shocked! I was troubleshooting my buzzer circuit when you dialed "8" on the intercom the signal fuse would blow. discovered a misplaced cross connect and finally fixed that mess... went through almost 12 fuses before finding the problem!
John