Main Menu

AE35 on the one or 2 condensers

Started by Slal, January 10, 2018, 08:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Interested to see what you guys think. 

eBay item number: 332504013651

Only one cat, that mentions 35A5 in conjunction with a PAX system.  It is AA-14

No schematic seen in seller photos (but haven't contacted him.) He mentions a 20Hz ringer "...it rings but not real loudly."

Curious about the condensers (capacitors) here.  What is purpose of the second one?  (OldPhoneShop (I think) has one for the well heeled that looks a beauty.  His has two condensers.)

Anyone have schematic for CB AE-35?  Photos?  This one look OK?

Never thought I'd be typing the following, but except for wish-list that follows-- that's pretty much it for AE.  (In my income bracket at least!)

Thanks for reading

--Bruce, who is still patiently waiting for...

AE-2, AE-14 with dial, two line monophone, and AE-35

--------------------------------

"Up for offer is a beautiful antique Automatic Electric 35 Rotary Monophone that works, it rings, receives and dials out. It has no side vents and a type 38 handset with spit cup transmitter. It was manufactured some time around 1935 -1937. This phone is in nice shape but not perfect, it does have a few marks, 2 of them shown in the pictures, the one by the cradle is the worst mark but hidden by the receiver when hung up. It also has a 20 hertz ringer, it rings but not real loudly. There is also a loud click noise in the receiver earpiece when the hook button is pushed, also the cord needs more cleaning. It has a 2 wire plug for modern phone jacks.  Check all pictures carefully and ask questions, I will "try" to answer them to the best of my knowledge."

wds

Here's a couple wiring diagrams out of my 35's.  The first two show two capacitors, the third I think only shows one.  Don't know if this helps or not.
Dave

Slal

Thanks for reply. 

Was going through diagrams thinking one would be for ringer... The other seemed to go through a big 200 ohm resistor... Its AST?  Then the phone rang.  Turned out it was a member here who has helped me with AE in the past.

He was kind enough to have a look at the eBay listing,and enjoyed talking phones with him.  His verdict was the eBay phone was OK, but pricey.     

Long & short: expensive phone, but decided it's still less than PhonecoInc, and *way* less than other on-line sources.  I'm good at rationalizing.    ;)

Crossing fingers that USPS doesn't destroy bakelite. 

---
Aside:

Anyone familiar with OldPhones (dot) com?

He has some NOS extensicords far more reasonable than eBay or another very pricey retailer, but no phone number.  Anyone done business at this site?  Not sure I like the idea of going through pay-pal based on someones e-mail address.

stub

Bruce ,
            I hope it makes the trip just fine .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

The second and third diagrams are aniti-sidetone: notice that there are 3 windings on the induction coil.
The 3rd winding makes anti-sidetone.

The first diagram doesn't even have an induction coil in the phone base. It has 3 wires going to the receiver unit so it must be a PAX phone with induction coil type receiver, like the 11A Monophone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Slal on January 10, 2018, 08:19:24 PM
Never thought I'd be typing the following, but except for wish-list that follows-- that's pretty much it for AE.  (In my income bracket at least!)

--Bruce, who is still patiently waiting for...

AE-2, AE-14 with dial, two line monophone, and AE-35

So you bought the $249 AE35? They never go cheap unless someone mistakes a 35 for a 50 which I've seen on the e-place before. 35's just don't show up very often. I have a spare 35 but it has a 50 cover on it with side vents. I need to find someone with a 35 Bakelite cover on an AE 50. There's at least one out there. Doug Pavlichek had one and I bought the spare that I have when I came upon it for him to fix his. But...he died before the swap happened :(

An AE2 isn't going to be a low cost one either. What's your bufdget like?

What's a 14...probably the Induction Coil Receiver version of the little 4A Spacesaver? The 4 doesn't have a dial and a 4A has a dial.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         4 ( induction coil ) and 14 (induction coil receiver) non-dial ,4A (induction coil ) and 14A (induction coil receiver) dial versions.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

And the 14's are the Induction Coil Receiver versions?

Terry

Slal

Thanks for replies.

@ Stubs

Thanks for wishing me luck with post office.  Cold out there PA to TX so hoping it makes it safe & sound.  (If they don't send it to Montana or some place.)  Wasn't there a topic called 'post office shenanigans' or something?

@ Poplar1

So 3rd winding = AST.  Nice little nugget to know.  If reading the second diagram correctly, bottom # of ind coil is its third winding then?  Similar impedance.  Difficult to make out on a 4k monitor.  Need computer glasses.  : )

@ AE Collector

Budget is 10k question isn’t it!  Depends on what its is, condition, market value, etc.  I’m fortunate to have funds in MM not doing much at .045% so if something extraordinary came along-- have to give that some serious thought.  For example, been looking for a certain rare fountain for a decade.  If ran across one of those, buy that puppy!  Opportunity knocks but once on something like that.  For everything else... Case by case basis I guess. 

Funny, all this time I never knew what “A” meant!  So an AE-11 A is a phone w/o coil inside and has a dial on it.  Two little nuggets I learned today.  So either 'AE-4 A'  or 'AE 14 A' if want one with dial.  : )

Thanks for reading

--Bruce

stub

Bruce ,
           This is a AE 14 A Dial Monophone Extension set.
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Ken, need a picture against a light background to appreciate the dial mounting. Can see it a bit better in your Avatar.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Slal on January 13, 2018, 02:43:22 PM
Funny, all this time I never knew what "A" meant!  So an AE-11 A is a phone w/o coil inside and has a dial on it.  Two little nuggets I learned today.  So either 'AE-4 A'  or 'AE 14 A' if want one with dial.  : )
--Bruce

AE isn't THAT organized! My thoughts are that an A was added to an existing model for some sort of a major change/upgrade. In the case of the AE 4 & 14 to indicate a dial added to a phone that didn't have a spot to put a dial. This is true for the AE 1 and 1A as well. I'm trying to think of another example where an added A was for some other reason but not coming up with anything at the moment.

Phones like the 34 and 35 always had an A with an extension digit added as well...34A3 and 35A5. By the time they were introduced AE had got to the point where the model number was the year of design or introduction (not so with models prior to the 3x's.  "A" could possibly mean something like "Automatic Ready" IE: either has a dial or has a built in spot for a dial and the final digit would likely indicate the item number of the new item introduced that year. So 34A3 was the 3rd new item they introduced in 1934 and a 34A4 could be some sort of switch in a CO (totally different thing). In the case of the AE 1 / 1A and the 4 / 4A, neither the 1 or the 4 have a built in place for a dial, it was an add on dial holder on the 4 making it a 4A and a different base housing on the 1 it a 1A.

Just thinking out loud here, None of this is anything other than my observations and thoughts.

Terry

Slal

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2018, 04:33:05 PM
AE isn't THAT organized! My thoughts are that an A was added to an existing model for some sort of a major change/upgrade. In the case of the AE 4 & 14 to indicate a dial added to a phone that didn't have a spot to put a dial. This is true for the AE 1 and 1A as well. I'm trying to think of another example where an added A was for some other reason but not coming up with anything at the moment.

Phones like the 34 and 35 always had an A with an extension digit added as well...34A3 and 35A5. By the time they were introduced AE had got to the point where the model number was the year of design or introduction (not so with models prior to the 3x's.  "A" could possibly mean something like "Automatic Ready" IE: either has a dial or has a built in spot for a dial and the final digit would likely indicate the item number of the new item introduced that year. So 34A3 was the 3rd new item they introduced in 1934 and a 34A4 could be some sort of switch in a CO (totally different thing). In the case of the AE 1 / 1A and the 4 / 4A, neither the 1 or the 4 have a built in place for a dial, it was an add on dial holder on the 4 making it a 4A and a different base housing on the 1 it a 1A.

Just thinking out loud here, None of this is anything other than my observations and thoughts.

Terry

That's interesting.  So a manual monophone is an AE-1.  No dial cover plate or anything, just a round base.  Also pretty cool that years might have been part of sequence, but that adds to my confusion about the coils then.  (Ones place = model ; tens place = coil in it)  Maybe they changed it?  Guess that's why I enjoy AE.  Kind of a riddle or puzzle.

Anyway, very cold out and frozen in, so have time to play with camera.  Here are some shots of the AE-35 that (fortunately) arrived safe and sound.

Was able to adjust ringer and get it ringing on both bells.  Don't know how loud they were supposed to be, but have a nice sound to them.

Only fly in ointment is (since the seller mainly does phones and related items) he might have kept the schematic.  I would've liked to have had the number from it-- see if I could get exact model # & age.

Consolation prize... I don't think seller realized an older number card was still in it.  The one with an area code had me feeling good about listing.  Phone probably in service if newer looking area code, so probably maintained by telco.  Didn't know it was a convenient sticker on top of old card!  Now I a cool looking # card in it, and can dial friends in Jackson Mississippi, or anyone named Jackson...

It has a couple of minor scratches and one 'battle scar' but I like them 'distressed.'  More in my price range, and just not into super clean and shiny.  To each his own I guess.

HarrySmith

That is a nice dial card, love the originals. That is also a very cool desk, I like all the vintage office stuff.

What is the box next to the typewriter with the Bates name on it? A kind of Rolodex?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Lots of "ifs" but if the condenser is original and if the Two Letter Code is XH and not HX then my theory is this is a December 1939 Phone which is entirely possible as 35s would be late about 1935 to 1940. See if you can find anymore Two Letter Codes anywhere including transmitter and receiver.

The fact that it is made in Chicago, not Chicago 7 puts it prior to postal zoning system introduction in 1943.

Any stamping on the back?

Terry