News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trying to wire 565HKM as a single-line telephone

Started by Craterranch, January 17, 2019, 08:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craterranch

Would like to wire this 565HKM for single-line use. Looks like a previous owner already tried...there's a 2-wire cord from the wall to the RR and RT terminals (the bottom two next to the bottom finger in the first picture). The phone rings, but I get no dial tone. Any insight would be appreciated.

paul-f

Wiring for the set is found in BSP 502-541-408.

RR and RT are the ringer connections. Look for T and R for the line key you prefer to use (1R, 1T, etc.). Both ringer and line connections must be connected to the line to be able to both ring and talk.

There's a copy in the TCI Library here:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps-bell-system/bsp-categories-by-later-division-number-by-doc/500-529-station-equipment/502-division-station-sets-common-battery/9159-502-541-408-i1/file

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Craterranch

I moved the wires to 1T and 1R but no joy. Still have dial tone, but no ring. I also tried moving the black wire from the ringer to 1R from where it was at RR and that had no effect.

paul-f

Quote from: Craterranch on January 18, 2019, 07:14:55 AM
I moved the wires to 1T and 1R but no joy. Still have dial tone, but no ring. I also tried moving the black wire from the ringer to 1R from where it was at RR and that had no effect.

Was the button for line 1 depressed?

To eliminate the key entirely, move the wires to the network and wire the phone according to a diagram for a standard 500 set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Craterranch

I tried with both the line 1 button depressed and without. Obviously there was no tone when the button wasn't depressed. The ring didn't occur either way. Not sure what you mean RE your last wiring instructions.

Key2871

When I did that I ran jumpers from the line cord to the ringer leads. If you have an HIA ringer, (one gong). You connect one ringer lead to A on the network, then the other to the line cord, then K on the network to the otherside of the line cord.
Then ring the line and the ringer should work. If you have a basic C4 type ringer, then wire Slate to A, Slate Red to K then Red ringer lead to Tip and Black to Ring.
You don't need the line Button pressed down. And ringer leads black and red it doesn't matter what side of the line they are connected. As long the phone line goes to the ringer.
KEN

poplar1

Does your ringer have 2 wires (red, black) or 4 wires (red, black, slate, slate-red)?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Craterranch

Ringer has 2 wires...red and black. Black was on RT. Red goes to the terminal block next to the ringer. It's a single-bell phone.

Key2871

As I thought, it's an HIA ringer. So if you wire it as in my first post it will ring on in coming calls. But you will need a couple wires to jump to the points as in my first post.
Because you are not using a separate ringer supply as it would with a KSU.
In other words the ringer has to be wired so the filter cap A and K are wired in series with the telephone line.
KEN

Babybearjs

Phone line= Green and Red wires on the cord. Attach them to R1 and T1.
Ringer wires=Red and Black, attach 1 wire to the "A" terminal on the network and the other wire to R1. From the network connect the jumper wire from "K" to T1. now BOTH the ringer and phone line are on line 1 depress line 1 button and pickup receiver. you should have dial tone. hang up. call you land line from a cell phone. it should ring. IF the phone is plugged in and you get NO DIAL TONE Reverse the Green and Red wires, there is a polarity guard in use and won't let the line through unless reversed. I have these phone all through my home and have worked with them extensively. good luck with your project! oh yeh, and again... welcome to the forum.
John

poplar1

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 18, 2019, 09:36:30 PM
Phone line= Green and Red wires on the cord. Attach them to R1 and T1. (snip)
IF the phone is plugged in and you get NO DIAL TONE Reverse the Green and Red wires, there is a polarity guard in use and won't let the line through unless reversed.

Rotary phones (565HKM) don't have polarity guards. Even if they did, there would still be a dial tone, unless the polarity guard is defective. Polarity only matters for a Touch-Tone dial which doesn't have built-in polarity guard. In that case, if the polarity of the line is backwards, you can't dial out -- but you still have dial tone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

oops! my mistake... ignore that part then... I though you had a 2565...
John

AL_as_needed

I have a 565 HK wired as a single line with a 104B speaker phone added onto on of the keys. Mine came without its line cord and no internal wiring on the board under the dial, so I just wired it as a regular 500 CD.
TWinbrook7

Craterranch

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 18, 2019, 09:36:30 PM
Phone line= Green and Red wires on the cord. Attach them to R1 and T1.
Ringer wires=Red and Black, attach 1 wire to the "A" terminal on the network and the other wire to R1. From the network connect the jumper wire from "K" to T1. now BOTH the ringer and phone line are on line 1 depress line 1 button and pickup receiver. you should have dial tone. hang up. call you land line from a cell phone. it should ring. IF the phone is plugged in and you get NO DIAL TONE Reverse the Green and Red wires, there is a polarity guard in use and won't let the line through unless reversed. I have these phone all through my home and have worked with them extensively. good luck with your project! oh yeh, and again... welcome to the forum.

I followed this procedure. Now we just have to wait until Tuesday when I can bring it back into the office to test it out.

Craterranch

The wiring methods suggested by fellow forum members has worked. Dial tone and ring functional. Curious as to why the bulb doesn't light up, but I imagine that would take additional wiring changes so I'll call it a day. Thanks, forum members.