"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do you collect any kind of phones?

Started by Contempra, November 11, 2017, 08:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Hello everyone .

My question is perhaps erratic but it is still appropriate and I ask myself again. I see more and more dial phones whose inner parts are all plastic. do you put them in your phone collection or you simply do not buy them?

Contempra

it's also what I said to myself. but I asked the question to know if several of you, buy it. I buy some because phones with fingerwheel, become difficult to find locally and we have to go on eBay or elsewhere to find. so, like you, I buy what interests me.

Denis,

I have a lot of phones here that may interest you. Where in Quebec are you. I'm in Belleville, Ontario.

Dan/Panther

I prefer phones from pre 1960.  It's hard to avoid plastic, it has been used so much in the last century, and early versions of plastic did not hold up well over time. But then again, I'm sure they never considered collectors or longevity.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Russ Kirk

Most of the time i collect what is available and piques my interest. I'm less interested in wood phones unless they are older. I stay away from modern phones, 70's or newer. Of course do have exceptions; Teletrainer, card dialers, Grillo, generally phones that unusual.  The bakelite art deco phones are always desirable, along with candlesticks.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

I collect from the 1890s to Western Electric Color 302s, so my cutoff date is 1955 or so. What is my reasoning....space!!! ...Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

Quote from: Duffy on November 11, 2017, 10:53:13 AM
Denis,

I have a lot of phones here that may interest you. Where in Quebec are you. I'm in Belleville, Ontario.

I'm near Shawinigan... Yes i would like to buy some other phones but no money :( ... unfortunately

Contempra

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 11, 2017, 12:07:13 PM
I prefer phones from pre 1960.  It's hard to avoid plastic, it has been used so much in the last century, and early versions of plastic did not hold up well over time. But then again, I'm sure they never considered collectors or longevity.

D/P

I agree Dan...

Contempra

Quote from: Russ Kirk on November 11, 2017, 06:56:37 PM
Most of the time i collect what is available and piques my interest. I'm less interested in wood phones unless they are older. I stay away from modern phones, 70's or newer. Of course do have exceptions; Teletrainer, card dialers, Grillo, generally phones that unusual.  The bakelite art deco phones are always desirable, along with candlesticks.

I also buy what piques my curiosity regardless of the phone except that I am not at all interested in wood phones, This because their use is very limited and we can not call but only receive calls .. But j will find one for my personal satisfaction but not at a high price for sure.

Contempra

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 11, 2017, 09:11:41 PM
I collect from the 1890s to Western Electric Color 302s, so my cutoff date is 1955 or so. What is my reasoning....space!!! ...Doug

Of course Doug. You have to have the space you need to store them. For my part, I collect those of the years 1979 and less, mainly desk phones but sometimes I also take more recent parts without stamped marks in case one of my phones arrives crackled. Indeed I also have dials that are mostly plastic (gears). But these are in boxes and not shown on shells .. But it's nice to see that some specialize in some years or models

Greg G.

My era of telephone collecting preference is 1920s-1960s.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

tallguy58

Quote from: Contempra on November 11, 2017, 09:41:24 PM
I'm near Shawinigan... Yes i would like to buy some other phones but no money :( ... unfortunately

Another great from your home town.
Cheers........Bill

Doug Rose

Jacques Plante from the era when goalies did not wear face masks. He was the first goalie to wear a mask that he invented.....ouch....Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

Indeed Jacques Plante did not wear a mask. it was after many injuries that the NHL changed its goaler rules. Just do some research and you can see the bloody face of the goaler. But Jacques Plante is a goaler I have seen very little because I am much younger than him .