"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help me deceide if I need a red bar, or not

Started by RB, December 05, 2018, 07:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I have a small collection of cb phones connected to a 616 pbx
a couple starlites, a couple trimlines, a very nice AE 40, a 500, a 2500...

I have a chance to get one or both a desk version and/or a wall version red bar.

The red bars have freq ringers don't they?
if so, they would have to be replaced with straight line ringers.
What other issues may there be?
I know nothing about red bars.
opinions please!

Jim Stettler

I think the red bar wall phone is a cool looking set. It has always been a favorite of mine.
You should have a desk example as well.
The bases are the same, They have a plug to connect the dial to the base. You can swap housings between bases.
I think they made some redbars with straightline ringers, However, I don't know for sure.

Some red bars have clear bars and some clear bar sets  were produced in  color .
Paul F's site has some of the colors listed under color sets. Colors found include white, blue, ivory, red
pink ("given to salesmen") also walnut(brown) for SelectOPhone systems

Larryinmichigan had a neat set in the Nov 2017 find of the month.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19134.msg197104#msg197104

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Butch Harlow

There were indeed straight line ringer Redbars. I am looking for a document that lays it out for you. If they have a white button they are select-o-phones and will be installed with dials that won't work on pots lines, or are just push to talk sets. However, if you get a normal one they are not only good looking outside, but also a marvel of innovation on the inside. I really find them to be quite handsome sets and any collection large or small deserves one. Do not hesitate to add one. I will look up that brochure and post it for you.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

Here you go. The 1000 desktop and 1100 wall type models should be straight ringer common battery sets. This chart will help you make sure you have what you need. Also, look in the TCI library at the 1947 Redbar catalog, it has tons of specific info and pictures.
Butch Harlow

LarryInMichigan

The Kellogg 1000s are very stylish sets.  Most are bakelite, and the bakelite is very fragile, so many have cracks or are missing chunks along the bottom edges.  Some are metal and very heavy.  The biggest shortcoming is the lousy quality of the transmitters.  Most of my Kellogg transmitters work too poorly to be usable.  Any Kellogg 1000 series with a push button on the front is a Select-O-Phone, and it will not work on a normal phone line.

Larry

Jim Stettler

They also made desk magneto sets in metal. Originally they have a 2" spacer between the housing and the base. There is a hole on the side of the housing for a crank.
This style looks very cool with shiny plating and black accents.  Many  of the shiny-plated redbar sets that I have seen at shows have been converted from metal  magneto sets.
While searching for the  photo I found this auction, The photo is from the auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Kellogg-1000-Redbar-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-Chrome-Plated-24953-/123176806476

I will try to add the rest of the photos later.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

Go for it, the wall red-bar is not often to see, even on net.
The design is unique  and it is the oldest "plug and play" concept I know.

Maybe it did not turn out to be what it could have been in the marked, but it is kinda fascinating.

dsk 

RB

Thank you friends, for the wisdom.
Are the transmitters replaceable?...obtainable???
If so, I believe I will pursue a red bar to add to my collection. :)

dsk

If you can't get it you may use a non original one. no big problem.

david@london

RB -

to help you decide, here are some photos by frank franowsky - mcmurdo silver - whose restorations and photography are something of a legend.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/kg/kg1000.html

the idea of a replacement transmitter would be tempting. i have a really nice restored metal redbar, but the transmitter lets it down......lousy quality, as larry says.

i'm not sure if there is anything available that would fit without altering the inside of the handset cup.

Doug Rose

A Kellogg 1000 is on of he coolest looking phones made. It is a must in any collection. Great lines and a wonderful look of the 50s. Yes....you want one.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have cheated and stuffed a T1 transmitter into the handset, soldering wires and stuffing bubble wrap into the cup to hold the T1 in place.  It actually worked fairly well.  I suppose that someone could fashion a T1 transmitter adapter out of plastic or wood to fit into the handset.

Larry

RB

Ok, I bought one, it arrives around the 12th.
will post pics.
I'll prob need a couple of those T1's.
I too, have fashioned "loosely translated", adaptors.