News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 307 - Is it pulsing?

Started by ncarolinasailor, October 21, 2014, 07:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncarolinasailor

Hello all, I am new around here and trying to get this 307 to work like a phone! Thanks to the wiring chart I got the ringer working. Here is what it currently does right-

Rings
Handset works
Gets dialtone
Breaks dialtone and stays broken until dial has returned to resting position

Now I have VOIP but I have heard it accepts pulse dial and am I right in assuming that in any case I should hear the familiar pitter patter of pulsing? Looking at the dialer inside it appears to be mechanically trying to pulse but I don't hear it on the line I just get the silence of broken dial tone until it returns.

edit- reading other posts I guess I am not supposed to hear that (who knew!) in any case once dialtone returns it is like I have not dialed anything and I shortly get the operator error message.

Kenton K

If you tap the hookswich, does that break dial tone? That how I sometimes check if the service accepts pulse dialing. It is analogous to dialing a '1'.

KK

Phonesrfun

If the dial tone comes back, it is not "breaking" the dial tone.  The dial has a set of contacts that silence the receiver so you don't hear the pulsing while it is pulsing, otherwise it would be terribly uncomfortable to hear.

So, it is silencing the dal tone during the dialing but not breaking.

The 307 is a different animal than a 302  I am away from home and don't have a 307 schematic handy, so I can't say for sure if the dial is in series with the coil or the battery supply.  Probably the coil.  The 307 as it is normally configured is a local battery, common signaling phone which was used on long loops and augmented the signal with the local battery.  Do you have a battery connected to the battery wires?  A couple of "D" size batteries in series would probably do.

Others may have more information for you.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

I just looked at the diagram, and I would say that whether there is a battery in it or not, you should be able to break dial tone in a normal manner by dialing the dial.  The battery would only affect your ability to transmit your voice. 

Try Ken's hint to flash the hookswitch and see if that causes the dial tone to go away.  If not, I would say that your VOIP system is not accepting pulse dialing.  Do you have another rotary phone you can try out on the line?
-Bill G

unbeldi

The 307 is a local-battery talking, common-battery signaling telephone for use on very long lines when the central office battery current is not sufficient for proper transmitter operation.

Does your handset have a 3-conductor cord or a 4-conductor cord?  If three, it is a 307B, C, or D.  If four, then it is a 307F, G, or H, depending on the type of number plate on the dial.

Here are circuit diagrams for each:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10281.msg109274#msg109274

So what you are saying is that it actually does not break dial tone. During dialing, one off-normal contact pair of the dial shunts the entire telephone and only the dial pulse (DP) contacts remain in the local loop circuit.

First thing to do is double check the wiring of the dial.

You can monitor the dial pulses when you connect a second telephone on the same line and pick that up to listen while dialing the 307.

ncarolinasailor

I will check the wiring to the dialer but when I tap the plunger I hear the dial tone stop (as if I hung up the phone) then back to dial tone. Perhaps the VOIP is not taking pulse dialing? I have suddenlink internet with an Arris modem that has the phone jack. Is this something they can activate or do I have to find a solution (pulse converter?)?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: ncarolinasailor on October 21, 2014, 11:15:02 PM
I will check the wiring to the dialer but when I tap the plunger I hear the dial tone stop (as if I hung up the phone) then back to dial tone. Perhaps the VOIP is not taking pulse dialing? I have suddenlink internet with an Arris modem that has the phone jack. Is this something they can activate or do I have to find a solution (pulse converter?)?

I suspect your VOIP does not work with pulse dials.  There are so, so many different VOIP providers and modems out there these days, and I am sorry to say that many do not support pulse dialing.  Since you have tried flashing the hookswitch and that did not break dial tone, it would seem that you might be stuck

If you have a more modern corded phone that has a switch on it for selecting pulse or tone dialing, you might try switching one to pulse dialing and see if it will dial out or not.  Do you have such a phone that you can experiment with?

-Bill G

dsk

Hi, and welcome!

Here (in Norway) it's no VOIP provider who accepts rotary dialing, and a converter like dialgizmo are needed.

Depending on what you have to test, another phone and a battery may be good, a battery and a test lamp easier, an ohm- meter ...easy. 

The PC microphone port and a recording of the dialing: more difficult, but also extremely informative.

The connection with another telephone and a battery will make loud clicks (10) if dialing 0,
battery and test lamp similar rapid flashing.

The telephone with no battery or other power source direct to the microphone tip and ground and recording the sound of dialing some nulls will show pulsing, and pulse ratio...if you look at it in e.g. Audacity (free).

dsk

-----------------------

EDIT:  added 2 forum links using Audacity for dial tuning; more links can be found using "audacity" in the search function

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6216.msg76263#msg76263

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11721.msg124789#msg124789