"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanted: One Cotter Pin for Kellogg 700

Started by cloyd, February 01, 2016, 02:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloyd

Dang!
I thought I was keeping track of those but I have come up one short.  These little cotter pins hold the Masterphone badging onto the base.  If you have one to spare or you know where a I can order one, PM me.

Also, can anyone tell me what to use as a material to replace the Masterphone logo window?  It is 1/32" thick.

Thank you,

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

HarrySmith

I am not familiar with the cotter pin needed for that phone but you should be able to find one at any hardware store, they  usually have an assortment of sizes.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

cloyd

Originally, my subject line read Kellogg 900 when I meant 700.  Sorry.

Yes, I got online and found loads of cotter pins, even tiny ones, but the ones on the Kellogg 700 have a decorative button head that's about 1.5 mm across.  Thanks for the input though.

Tina
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

Quote from: cloyd on February 02, 2016, 01:52:45 PM
Originally, my subject line read Kellogg 900 when I meant 700.  Sorry.

Yes, I got online and found loads of cotter pins, even tiny ones, but the ones on the Kellogg 700 have a decorative button head that's about 1.5 mm across.  Thanks for the input though.

Tina

Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

rdelius

If this is the pin you are looking for it is more like a pin with a split shaft than a cotter pin with a loop as the head.this is to hold down the plastic cover over the paper tag.

cloyd

Great idea to post pictures.  My favorite posts are always the ones with pictures!  I was gathering pictures when the comments were posted.  Anyway, I put them on my original post.

For searching purposes, what do you call a split shaft pin?

Most of the old K700's listed on ebay still have them so I am sure I can get one.  A modern source would be nice.

Thank you,

Tina

cloyd

I think that decorative metal studs would work well enough.  Unless someone has a busted up old phone they wouldn't mind sharing a small piece of it.

UPDATE:  I am having trouble finding metal studs that would work.  Even stud earrings might work.  The time it is taking me to look for the right thing makes me think it will be easier to find the real thing.

Thanks,
Tina

wds

Although my 700 uses the cotter pins like yours, my 900 uses the machine screw and tap.  I'm not sure where to find the screw without the slotted drive, but a machine screw would substitute just fine.

Dave

Jack Ryan

Thanks for posting the pictures of the pin in question Tina.

In Australia (and other Commonwealth countries) that is a pressed metal "split pin". A cotter pin, for example, holds a bicycle crank onto the shaft.

I think I have a container of those from my Grandfather's shed - unfortunately they are about two sizes bigger.

The reason for the post is to emphasize the importance of pictures. On the other hand, without them, the mind creates some interesting images.

Good luck
Jack

Tina,

I think this could be your answer. They are bigger, but I think you can trim them. How many would you like?

Doug

dencins

Tina

I do not have the split type pin but I do have some pins that may work.  The head is 1/8" in diameter, head height is a little less than 1/16" and  shank is 1/16" in diameter.  I am unclear of the dimensions you need but this looks close to your picture.  The shank could be cut to the correct length.  Cut down in length these are the size pin used to secure name tags on phones like the B-R candlestick, etc.

One way to secure them would be a spring clip fastener.  You would need to find a spring clip fastener for 0.065" shank.  I think earring backers are 18 or 20 gauge which would not be big enough.  Possibly a backer for a pin or emblem would fit.  You would need to find something that would fit on a 14 gauge post.  Possibly a local jeweler would have something.

Another option would be to use a 0-80 thread die to cut threads then secure with 0-80 nuts.  The major diameter for 0-80 thread is 0.0600" and the shank is 0.065" so the thread die should be able to cut the thread with a bit of effort.  Unfortunately I do not have an 0-80 thread die.

Dennis Hallworth

dencins

Tina

If you can not find a backer that fits on the pin another potential option would be to use the quick connect from a 15 amp electrical wall outlet.  15 amp electric circuits use 14 gauge wire so the pin would fit into the clip inside the wall outlet.  You can buy a 15 amp wall outlet at Home Depot for $0.68.  Take the outlet apart and cut out the quick connect clips to fit inside the phone.  You should be able to get four clips from one outlet.  Push the pin into the hole on the phone then push the quick connect from the wall outlet on the pin from the inside of the phone.

Dennis Hallworth

rdelius

If I could not locate the pins, I would use 2-56 screws with nuts inside

dencins

Just to add some confusion to the subject when I referenced 14 gauge that would be AWG (American Wire Gauge) and is 0.064" in diameter.  There is also SWG (Standard Wire Gauge) where 14 gauge is 0.080" and 16 gauge is 0.064".  The pin I pictured is a brass escutcheon pin and is sold as 16 gauge (SWG) with the diameter of 0.064".  Copper electric wire uses AWG so the 0.064" diameter is 14 gauge for the wall outlet quick connector.

I have found jewelers use either AWG or SWG depending on the metal.  If you ask for a certain gauge you need to let them know if you want AWG or SWG or tell them 0.064" diameter.

Dennis Halworth