News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WANTED -- Locating a Automatic Electric 2.5” Mercedes Style Dial ??

Started by kka2446, February 26, 2016, 09:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kka2446

Hi all,

Don't know if I'm on the right section of the Forum. I'm trying to help a friend locate an Automatic Electric 2.5" Mercedes Style Dial, working or not. If anyone has any leads or a dial any info would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with this model dial and I'm sure there may more specifics, but at this point I only have this info.     

Thanks,
John

Jack Ryan

Sorry, I don't have a spare.

I think 2 7/8" is closer to the mark. There are a few variations but you'll need to know the off normal contact configuration (how many contacts on the back and how they operate). What is the dial for?

There have been some on ebay recently but the prices have been edging over $120. Here is one that was abnormally high:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262271524637

I presume you are looking for an Automatic Electric (USA) dial.

Jack

kka2446

Jack,
Thank you so much for your reply....I knew there are more questions to answer regarding the AE Mercedes Style and will get them, number of contacts, contacts config etc prior to my next post.

In the mean time since I posted I was provided with the following by the collector:

"I'm looking for an example with numbers only (no letters, no 'Long Distance' surrounding the digit zero) "

Jack, You'd asked about a USA dial, the collector I'm trying to help is located in Europe, Sweden I believe, but will get answers to your questions. As I read the requests for the dial I get the sense his needs translate in rare and expensive ?

Again, Thank you.
John   

Jack Ryan

Quote from: kka2446 on February 27, 2016, 05:15:33 PM
In the mean time since I posted I was provided with the following by the collector:

"I'm looking for an example with numbers only (no letters, no 'Long Distance' surrounding the digit zero) "

That's not too difficult - so far, so good

Jack, You'd asked about a USA dial, the collector I'm trying to help is located in Europe, Sweden I believe, but will get answers to your questions.

It would be unusual to find a Mercedes dial in Sweden but let's wait and see what the details are.

As I read the requests for the dial I get the sense his needs translate in rare and expensive ?

The most expensive Mercedes dials are usually the UK Dial No 1 followed by European (not French) dials.

The dial to which I provided a link is actually mildly special - it is a 1918 dial for a series circuit telephone. I haven't seen many of those.

Finish is another option - black japan (US), nickel (French, US) or black oxide (UK, Europe). Knowing the phone would help.

Regards
Jack