News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WANTED -- Orange handset for 1979 Stromberg Carlson 554

Started by Pourme, February 28, 2016, 08:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

When my wife built our home in 1979 this, then new, orange Stromberg Carlson 554(BM) was installed. Thirty six years later in 2015 when we dug it out of a closet the orange handset was no where to be found. I would like to find an matching original handset to make it complete again. The original cord is getting tacky as well. Unless there is a fix for this, I would like a cord as well. I expect I can locate a cord easier than the handset.

If you have a handset i can purchase please let me know....Thanks!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

This is what I need....The complete phone is barely worth what the seller is asking for this handset...I'll pass, add it to my watch list and see if they offer a discount when they relist it.

http://tinyurl.com/hdkoubq

Benny

Ktownphoneco

He's sold a lot of stuff on eBay, so he knows the "ropes".      He doesn't want to hang onto it anything longer than he has to.      Send him an"ask seller a question", and offer him $20.00, for it, or whatever you think it's worth to you.        Worst thing that can happen, is he says "No".        He might even come back with a counter offer you can live with.

Jeff Lamb

Pourme

Thanks, I will do that....I'll let you know how that works out.
Benny

unbeldi

The cord pictured doesn't look so bad.  I guess pictures can be misleading sometimes.  Is it just dirty?
If it is excessively stretched out in places, you might want to try coiling it on a wooden dowel of correct size and heating it carefully in hot air, possibly a large oven.

This might restore the original coiling. I have had moderate success, good enough at least for display purpose.  On the other hand several sellers on eBay have large selections of third-party cords.

Pourme

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on March 08, 2016, 10:42:10 AM
He's sold a lot of stuff on eBay, so he knows the "ropes".      He doesn't want to hang onto it anything longer than he has to.      Send him an"ask seller a question", and offer him $20.00, for it, or whatever you think it's worth to you.        Worst thing that can happen, is he says "No".        He might even come back with a counter offer you can live with.

Jeff Lamb

He says he thinks it's a "fair price"...not interested in offers....I think he is entitled to his opinion...I can wait...
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on March 08, 2016, 12:33:29 PM
The cord pictured doesn't look so bad.  I guess pictures can be misleading sometimes.  Is it just dirty?
If it is excessively stretched out in places, you might want to try coiling it on a wooden dowel of correct size and heating it carefully in hot air, possibly a large oven.

This might restore the original coiling. I have had moderate success, good enough at least for display purpose.  On the other hand several sellers on eBay have large selections of third-party cords.

a portion of the cord feels sticky and tacky. Perhaps a cleaning will fix it. I thought it may be breaking down or decomposing. If I wrap it around a dowel what should I use to attempt to clean it that won't be too strong?
Benny

Ktownphoneco

Pourme   .......   "He thinks it's a fair price"  ....   He probably thought the first price was fair too, until it didn't sell.      OldPhoneWorks ( OPW ) has them listed for $7.00 to $10.00 (approximately) depending on the length, and they don't exactly give things away.     Of course there is shipping to consider as well.

Jeff

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on March 08, 2016, 05:11:46 PM

a portion of the cord feels sticky and tacky. Perhaps a cleaning will fix it. I thought it may be breaking down or decomposing. If I wrap it around a dowel what should I use to attempt to clean it that won't be too strong?

For cleaning you can use pretty much most the household cleaners that are water-based. Fantastic is one of my favorites. If that doesn't get off everything, I'd try rubbing alcohol next. For even more sticky stuff I have quickly pulled cords through an acetone soaked rag.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on March 08, 2016, 05:24:28 PM
Quote from: Pourme on March 08, 2016, 05:11:46 PM

Thanks...I will try that, didn't want to use the wrong thing and cause issues!

For cleaning you can use pretty much most the household cleaners that are water-based. Fantastic is one of my favorites. If that doesn't get off everything, I'd try rubbing alcohol next. For even more sticky stuff I have quickly pulled cords through an acetone soaked rag.
Benny

Jim Stettler

I had "transparent" AE  mod cords that were made for WE.   They were sticky from outgassing.   I used dawn on them and it cleaned the sticky off. I don't know how long the treatment will work. I suspect it deprnds on the cord.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

Quote from: Jim S. on March 08, 2016, 06:01:51 PM
I had "transparent" AE  mod cords that were made for WE.   They were sticky from outgassing.   I used dawn on them and it cleaned the sticky off. I don't know how long the treatment will work. I suspect it deprnds on the cord.

JMO,
Jim S.

I have a box full of original WECo modular cords (clear) from the 80s (I am guessing) in their original plastic bags, in three lengths. They are sticky like a glue, it's a mess.  I have used acetone to get that stuff off and that barely succeeds, still leaves them somewhat sticky.  I am sure it's a plasticizer to keep the cord flexible.