News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FACE Standard Model 500 clone

Started by Tribune, August 23, 2010, 09:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tribune

Greetings all, newbie here, asking newbie type questions  ;)

Anyway got this neat-looking phone from e-bay, primarily because of its very funky Arabic dial. Appears to be made by the former ITT Italian subsidiary FACE Standard for the Lebanese telephone network - hence the Arabic dial and the cedar tree on the dial and handset.

Superficially resembles a typical 500 model, but it is marginally shorter and the cords exit from different locations. Take off the case it it looks very different. Ringer located under the dial and all wiring in a self contained unit, including the hook switch.

Annoyingly, the terminal labeling on the network doesn't correspond to anything I've seen on my other 'real' 500 sets. Certainly not the standard Western Electric labeling

On the left:-
a) Red line cord
b) empty
S) Green line cord
G) empty
S2) Red to ringer
M) White to transmitter
R) Red to receiver
MR) Brown to receiver, Blue to transmitter

On the right:-
a1) empty
G1) empty
T) empty
S1) Blue to ringer
1) White to dial (impulse switch)
2) Red to dial (impulse switch)
3) Blue to dial (shunt switch)
4) Brown to dial (shunt switch)

Wired as it is now, it rings, but nothing heard in the handset.

Any suggestions on wiring this baby for use in Canada?

Thanks folks!
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum:

Just a guess, but try bridging the S) connection where the green wire is to the b) connection that is currently empty.

I searched high and low for a schematic, but to no avail.  Perhaps d_s_k or Remco, both from Europe can be of more help if the above does not work.
-Bill G

teka-bb

Did you look inside the handset to see if the receiver and transmitter elements are present?

Regretfully I don't have a schematic for this phone.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Dennis Markham

The interior kind of resembles a Stromberg Carlson network.  Also with the bell tucked up under the dial.

Welcome to the forum, Tribune.

McHeath

Welcome and what an interesting phone!  The inside also resembles a British GPO 706 a bit, though the wiring is different.  You can just do touch and feel to find the right connections. :o  Though a wiring diagram is better eh?

Tribune

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes, I think it will be a case of trial and error. Must admit I had something of a surprise when I opened it up, expecting the normal 500 innards. 
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

teka-bb

I have an Italian Face Standard (which was an ITT  subsidiary) model Lillo that looks like an ITT Cinderella (same model as the WE Princess) but is totally different on the inside.

Also when you put an ITT Cinderella next to it you will notice that the Lillo is slightly bigger.
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Tribune

That looks like an interesting phone there Remco. Looking at the diagram for it, the terminal labelling on the network is very similar to the FACE Standard 500 look-a-like I have, except I mine has two extra terminals S1 and S2.
No worries though, I suspect that to get it to work on the North American system I'll just have to bridge something as Phonesrfun says. Trial and error - mostly error. Looks like I've got some playing to do when I get home from the office.
And yes, the handset checks out fine.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

Phonesrfun

Remco:

Even theough the network is physically different from Tribune's 500, it looks like the connections are numbered and designated the same.  Can you tell us where tip and ring are connected and/or do you have a diagram for the connections?

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Tribune:  Looks like you and I are on the same page on this one.
-Bill G

Tribune

Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Tribune on August 24, 2010, 06:31:12 PM
Great minds think alike  8)

Absolutely.

BTW, the Princess Remco shows seems that the finger stop is bass ackwards.  Remco, does it seem that way to you?  It would have to spin the same as any other dial because the space needs to be between the 1 and the finger stop to accomodate the needed delay.  But the finger stop curve seems to be on the wrong side.
-Bill G

Tribune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 24, 2010, 03:51:11 AM
Just a guess, but try bridging the S) connection where the green wire is to the b) connection that is currently empty.

Thanks Bill - no trial and error involved! Worked first time. Bridged between S and b connections and we're off to the races. Very loud clicks in the receiver when depressing and returning the hook switch. That should be an easy fix with a couple of rectifier diodes across the receiver terminals.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

bellsystemproperty

Wow that's a unique phone! Who made the dial on it? Notice the 0 is in the 6 o'clock position instead of the 4 o'clock position on the Western Dials. ITT made their dials in Western Electric style, so I think the dial was made by a different company.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

LarryInMichigan

It looks like Tribune has been successful in saving Face ;D