News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

what grit of paper do i use to sand a ........

Started by Kenny C, April 04, 2010, 02:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny,

I haven't done a lot of painting, but I would use a high grit wet sand paper.  Like 1,000 or 2,000.  Make sure you use wet sand with water.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on April 04, 2010, 02:35:04 PM
metal finger wheel after I paint it

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

foots

Kenny, if you've already painted the fingerwhell and just want to get rid of the orange peel (smooth out the paint) I'd suggest using 0000 steel wool. Lightly rub it until the paint untill it has a flat black appearance then use some light automotive compound and it should shine nicely.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Netdewt

Where do you guys get 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper? My hardware store only had 600.

Kenny C

go to walmart and its in the automotive section
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Most automotive stores have it.....PepBoys, O'Riley's, whatever is in your area....right next to the Bondo.

bwanna

yep....that's where us girls buy it too  ;)  

(sorry, i couldn't resist)   8)
donna

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
I use a toaster oven to bake all of my small metal parts. I set it at 250, and leave the parts in for about 1 hour. The paint will come out smooth as silk and won't need sanding. It will be much more durable also. It eliminated all orange peel.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 12, 2010, 02:10:07 AM
Kenny;
I use a toaster oven to bake all of my small metal parts. I set it at 250, and leave the parts in for about 1 hour. The paint will come out smooth as silk and won't need sanding. It will be much more durable also. It eliminated all orange peel.
D/P
But you should check w/ your mom before using hers.
I bet you can find a used toaster oven  for  between $2-!0. Buy it for your phone parts and use it in the garage.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenny C

we do not have a garage and we do not have a toaster oven but I will  get one and use it on the porch
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

That will work, And mom will see how responsible you are, and fail to notice all the phones that are multipling in your room.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

We always have toaster ovens up the wazoo at St. Vinnies for about 10 bucks or so, I'm sure the same's true by you Kenny.  And don't forget your Napa store, ours here has a great auto-body department with a huge variety of sandpaper.  (I'm trying to learn auto body as well, but it's kind of a failing endeavor)
- Tom

Netdewt

The regional NAPA headquarters store is a few blocks from me. I'm really bad at knowing where to get things locally.