"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2nd Type "F"

Started by jfrutschy, December 07, 2013, 10:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Happy holidays to all,

Found this on eBay a couple weeks ago.  My profile pic is my completed one.

This will be my first of these models to restore...I just had to accept this challenge!   Since it's arrival I have started disassembling it.   The brass has proved to be a job and a half but my new buffer will make it shine.

The internal parts and make up is amazing.  I am a little intimidated by it, but since I have a working model I'm ain't skeered  :D

And if it turns out to be to much...which I don't believe so...I can send it to Arizona for some sunshine and a spa treatment.   ;D  I do believe I can do this without help.   ???

Will add internal pix later in case anyone wants to see the insides....whooh and some interior parts still are battleship gray.  These are so cool looking and ring so loud and clear gong like....gosh I love it!

Modified this thread a little.  The finger stop and receiver lock looks to be aluminum will show pix later as I said.  I assume those parts will be difficult to find in brass. Suggestions welcome?

John

tallguy58

Pictures too small........Larger one please.  Looks nice!
Cheers........Bill

jfrutschy

Wow just posted it.  Will add other pix in a couple hours now.  Wonder why there smaller?  Technology huh  ??? ??? ???

No wonder I like old phones.  ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: jfrutschy on December 07, 2013, 10:37:01 AM
Wonder why there smaller?  Technology huh  ??? ??? ???

Pixel size.

As an example, your avatar is 75 x 100. Pictures captured off eBay previews are just as small in pixel size and the full sized photos on eBay can be anywhere from 400 to 2,000 pixels. I use a graphic software to reduce the larger ones to 500 by 500, or so, before posting. I've found that 500 to 1,000 max on height or width works well. Photos larger than that just results in a large MByte photos which takes time to load and use more memory on the forum. Occasionally, a larger photo for a real detailed picture, such as a drawing or close up, works best. Some of the photos posted to the forum are large and uncropped and they take a long time to load.

Specifically

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=918.msg11156#msg11156

and in general

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=84.0

jfrutschy

Better view

stub

John ,
          Nice!!!!!!!!!! Good job!!!!!!!!!!I need to get me one , sometime.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

rdelius

The silver looking parts of these set are brass underneath the plating.You can strip the plating off with a reverse plating bath.These sets are a pain to restore

Contempra

Looks nice but hard to read the dial. unusual...

jfrutschy

Quote from: rdelius on December 07, 2013, 01:49:11 PM
The silver looking parts of these set are brass underneath the plating.You can strip the plating off with a reverse plating bath.These sets are a pain to restore

What makes them so difficult to restore?  Any hints would be welcome!  It looks like a lot of work of course it's a telephone... ;D.  It looks fun I'm in no hurry been videoing everything as I disassemble. 

Do you think the mechanical part is more difficult or getting her functional? 

rdelius

When I restored them, every part was removed from the shell,all parts seperated and polished.Lots of time .All the nuts in these sets are staked so they will not loosen .Sometimes wires would break off of old solder joints.The dial is lit with a low voltage light bulb also.A local machinest would make brass parts to replace any missing ones.The type 41 handset with the brass rings looks nice on these allthough not proper.

jfrutschy

Wow thanks.  I have a couple of those handsets.  I was unsure of the receiver cord type though?   And since the 41 isn't original what is the original receiver?  My other type f has a 41 on it but has no brass rings...nice touch easy tweak!

I was thinking of tricking it out with Doug's old receiver he just listed on eBay #301038469280
What's your opinion? 

Every phone I have done I I have  disassembled there are a lot of parts!  The nuts I have gotten to have loosened, what is staked nuts? Or are staked nuts ?

How many of these have you re-done?

rdelius

Type 41 handsets are proper but the military did not use the polished brass ring type on this telephone.They look nice on them though. The nuts are embossed or dimpled to distort the threads so they will not loosten when the big guns are fired.that photo of the dial appears that the finger stop that mounts to the brass housing is missing

HarrySmith

A staked nut is a nut that has been bent against the threads to keep it from loosening. A common practice on cars and motorcyles. I have attached a picture of one on a car axle. I have not seen any on a phone yet but I can see where it would be needed on a ships phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jfrutschy

Thanks never seen a nut like that.  And no I have the finger stop allies e's seem to be there except the receiver and cord.