News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Peroxide Treatment Test

Started by boynblue27, November 07, 2011, 05:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boynblue27

I am posting my test here online using Salon Care 40 from Sally's Beauty Supply.  I will post the results in a follow up.  Hope it works.

LarryInMichigan

I have found that it doesn't do much without sunlight, or perhaps a UV lamp.

Larry

boynblue27

Thanks Larry I have a UV light will try that.

kleenax

I have found that the process works well using bright natural light. A nice, sunny day is great! Leave it sitting out there for about 6 hrs or more, but be sure to keep it moist.

Ijust purchased some special UV lights that I will use for this process this winter. I will try and post some photos when I get time.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

GG

Guidance on make & model numbers of UV lights would be highly helpful.

I live in the city, where there is nowhere safe to leave something like this outside, because it would be "harvested" by the local recycling thieves or random passers-by.

boynblue27

OK I have to say at least its working.  Here are the results after 12 hours under a UV light.  I placed in a box and put the light overhead to try and maximize the UV light exposure.  May have to go one more time and rotate the parts a little but I will post final results after.

GG

Impressive. 

Is that Salon Care 40 product the white goopy stuff as it comes from the bottle, or did you use it as an ingredient for whipping up a batch of RetroBrite? 

Also what make/model of UV light are you using? 

To get full UV coverage at one time, how'bout attaching aluminum foil, shiny side out, to some convenient surfaces that can be positioned to reflect the UV onto the sides of the phone during treatment?

boynblue27

It is the standard Salon Care 40 white creme not clear.  It seems to brush on easier.  Right now I'm using a plastic tub big enough to sit 2 entire disassembled  phones in.  I'm having to rotate the phones right now in different positions to get the maximum light exposure but I'm considering constructing one with mirrors and a second UV light.  I'm still in the testing phase to see what works best and am trying a green phone atm.  I would just sit it outside in the sun but I have many trees and with winter coming up it makes it nearly impossible.  As far as the UV light I looked and it is just a cheap model from China I don't see any rating on it.  Guess I will research and look for better ones.  I've read in this forum that using MEK seems to be a faster method but it seems far to caustic for me.  I'll post the green phone sometime tomorrow.  I'm also wondering if heat would speed up the process.

Bill

Your results are far better than I expected - I'm impressed! I may try it on an off-white/beige 500 set that I've got sitting in the garage. Who knows - maybe it is supposed to be white! Fortunately, here in Arizona we have plenty of cheap UV light.

Thanks for posting.

Bill

GG

There's long-wave ultraviolet, which we think of as "blacklight," that makes fluorescent signs and posters appear to "glow in the dark." 

And there's short-wave ultraviolet, which is also a known hazard for eye damage and skin cancer if a person is exposed for too long at one time. 

Within each of those categories, there incandescent and fluorescent type bulbs.

This all gets very confusing until we have a specific example of a type of bulb and fixture that someone has used successfully. 

boynblue27

Well green doesn't do well as stated somewhere else in this forum.  It looks like a army green camo phone now.  :D  Guess I can sand it out or MEK it. No big deal.  I am using an incandescent UV light.  This one specifically says super UV daylight use for reptiles only.  Hope that helps.  Its not too specific on the bulb.  Guess back to the drawing board.  At least we know white works well. 

Mike

LarryInMichigan

Mike,

How long was the treatment of the green phone?  Perhaps it was overbleached.

Larry

boynblue27

About 8 hours.  Think I'll try one aqua trimline and see how that one does.  If not I'm confident I can correct it by light sanding.   

Phonesrfun

My trial on a colored phone was disasterous.  when I got to thinking about it, bleach, which is what we are using, takes color out, so I can understand why the color kind of changed.  What was baffling to me is how pronounced the uneven-ness turned out on mine and apparently on yours too.

Perhaps the white hides the blotchy effect, and of course white would be the best color to bleach.  I have heard that someone has had good luck with colored phones, but I don't remember who.  I have had good luck with light beige, but it turned the beige into almost an ivory by bleaching it out.  maybe I mixed it too strong.

Funny, but I have all the patience in the world when it comes to electronics, but when it comes to bleaching or sanding, polishing and painting, my patience level falls completely away.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

I would suggest letting the phone bleach for only an hour or two and checking on it.  I am sure that the bleach can fade the original color if left too long.  It might be worth trying a lower concentration of peroxide, like the 20 volume, also. 

Larry