News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg handsets for Redbar, Ashtray and other Kellogg sets using 1-pc. handset

Started by RotoTech99, April 09, 2015, 10:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

How many styles of 1 piece handsets (with trans. and receiver in 1 assembly did Kellogg make for the Redbar, Ashtray, and other Kellogg sets that used them?

I have one that has a arrow shaped front ridge on the receiver end that runs to the transmitter end, and one with the rounded front. I am unfamiliar with the part #'s for each.

unbeldi

Kellogg made a variety of handsets, but I think only two standard ones for the Masterphones: F-27-C for the Pre-1000-type sets (700-, 900-series) and 46-C for Redbars.  The 47-C was a 46-C with a Koiled-Kords cord, also often found on 1000s, but should look the same.

Do you have a picture?

RotoTech99

Hi, unibeldi.

I checked for code numbers on the 2 Kellogg handsets.. both say 46-C inside the transmitter end.

I have attached 3 photos of them for your review.

Both are on Kellogg Redbar sets.

G-Man

A quick rundown of handsets from a Kellogg catalog.

RotoTech99

Dear G-Man:

Thank you for the catalog page.  What gets me is both of my Redbar handsets are marked 46-c inside the transmitter well despite one looking like a 47-c handset... I wonder if it was a "mismarking" somehow..?

I think both look quite nice on my Redbar sets.

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on April 10, 2015, 06:54:59 AM
Hi, unibeldi.

I checked for code numbers on the 2 Kellogg handsets.. both say 46-C inside the transmitter end.

I have attached 3 photos of them for your review.

Both are on Kellogg Redbar sets.

Yes, I see what you mean now.  I found that my notes and pictures agree with your observation as well.

The F-27-C is completely rounded at the receiver end. I have it on all my my 700- and 900-series sets.  One version of the 46-C looks the same which I have on several 1000-Masterphones, CB and magneto, and a 1000-Select-O-Phone. I also have  47-C handsets with the identical shape.  But there is another version of the 46-C that has a ridge extending on the receiver end which kind of looks narrow-trapezoidal, or triangular as you mentioned, from the end. It is similar on the cord/transmitter end.

When the telephone model, which is usually stamped on the bottom, ends with K,  such as D1002-DAK (Select-O-Phone), or 1070 BB K (manual magneto desk set), then the handset is a 47-C.

The prewar catalogs only show the rounded version, IIRC.  But the Masterphone 1000 sales brochures of 1946/7 clearly show the 'ridged' style.  Then in 1949 the No.11 catalog shows the 46-C and 47-C again in the rounded version in the piece part section, but in the pictures of the 1000-series Masterphones the handset clearly are not rounded.

Here is a non-systematic variety show:  I don't have good shots of a rounded 46-C, but I have them too.

Doug Rose

The more rounded handset has the larger spit cup.  They are older and came on the very first Kellogg phones. I have two round Kellogg metal sets, similar to a A1 in base design and both have the rounded handset...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 10, 2015, 04:18:36 PM
The more rounded handset has the larger spit cup.  They are older and came on the very first Kellogg phones. I have two round Kellogg metal sets, similar to a A1 in base design and both have the rounded handset...Doug

The handset with the larger spit cup is the F-27-C.  It was not used on the 1000 series.  The early handsets on the 1000 sets also were round but had no real spit cup.

Here is a F-27-C:

Doug Rose

The F-27-C was used on the 925 series, I did not mention the 1000 Red Bars. They are the rounded corners with the larger spit cup...Doug
Kidphone

RotoTech99