News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

$32 '58 WE 500 Red

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 27, 2014, 10:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Don't ask why I'm suddenly getting a strange variety of phones lately, but I found this 1958 soft plastic red 500 on eBay as an auction, and my bid somehow made it to the top of the bidding war tonight, ending at $32. At least one of the caps is not original, since it has a center hole. Ben, it looks like we have twin phones, but you ended up with the prettier one! ;D

http://tinyurl.com/p2thnmm
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

LOL... Thanks Christian, yours is quite nice.. The one thing I am a bit worried about is, notice how thin the casing is, or is that just me?

I'm starting to see some competition between us, 58 Red, med blue, do you have a 500t?

Ben

TelePlay

I was watching that auction to its end. Thought of bidding on it but let it go. Was surprised to see a last second snipe of $1 won this auction.

When you get it, post a good picture of the finger wheel. It looked like it has issues in this photo, not a reason not to buy the phone but just wondering if it was intact and whole.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on February 27, 2014, 10:41:32 PM
I was watching that auction to its end. Thought of bidding on it but let it go. Was surprised to see a last second snipe of $1 won this auction.

When you get it, post a good picture of the finger wheel. It looked like it has issues in this photo, not a reason not to buy the phone but just wondering if it was intact and whole.

Quote from: TelePlay on February 27, 2014, 10:41:32 PM

Maybe careful, careful sanding could fix that?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

@ Ben; Yes, I recieved a 500 T in that phone haul back in January for free :o

@Teleplay; Can you clarify what you mean by "issues" with the fingerwheel? If you mean damaged, it doesn't matter too much, because I can always swap out fingerwheels on some of my other phones, since this one will matter more about appearance than some of my other early sixties 500s.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

I think this is what John is talking about,

Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 27, 2014, 10:49:18 PM

@Teleplay; Can you clarify what you mean by "issues" with the fingerwheel?

I saw that scratch but was looking at what seems to be a missing piece of plastic on the ring just under the word "issue" you put on the photo.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on February 27, 2014, 11:29:27 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 27, 2014, 10:49:18 PM

@Teleplay; Can you clarify what you mean by "issues" with the fingerwheel?

I saw that scratch but was looking at what seems to be a missing piece of plastic on the ring just under the word "issue" you put on the photo.
I think that is just some of the "framework" on the inside of the fingerwheel, either used to secure it to the Mech, or to hold a dial card to it.
Christian Petterson

Greg G.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 27, 2014, 10:32:32 PM
... The one thing I am a bit worried about is, notice how thin the casing is, or is that just me?

Ben

Dunno, what's your height/weight?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Brinybay on February 28, 2014, 12:17:25 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 27, 2014, 10:32:32 PM
... The one thing I am a bit worried about is, notice how thin the casing is, or is that just me?

Ben

Dunno, what's your height/weight?

What I ment to say was, the casing looks to thin for soft plastic.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, it looks like Ben called this one: the 500 has 1966 plastics, except for the receiver car and dial bezel :'(.
Christian Petterson

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 06, 2014, 10:18:02 PM
Well, it looks like Ben called this one: the 500 has 1966 plastics, except for the receiver car and dial bezel :'(.

Hey, you can still polish it up, and display it, or you can use the soft plastic parts for another project.

Ben

Sargeguy

I still have a soft plastic housing from 5? that has a small repairable crack if you need it
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 06, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
I still have a soft plastic housing from 5? that has a small repairable crack if you need it

No thanks, I don't need another housing. I'm satisfied as long as these plastics display well. If anything, the plastics represent what this phone would have looked like in 1958, since this will be a part of my "interactive" museum.
Christian Petterson