News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What are your Favorite Cars???

Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

One of mine is the model T. I'm also partial to 50's convertables, and, cars with wings in back, and, tail fins.
I love the 30's, and, 40's trucks.
Oh, boy, I wish I could own a Bentley, or Stutz...... Kind of reminds me that I once had a link to an auction on the internet. An old miser died, and, when they got into his barn they found a treasure house of rare cars, and, parts. Even some brand new engines from the teens.
I couldn't believe my eyes!
Bill Cahill   ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

I love some of the early Bugattis.  I wouldn't mind finding this in a garage:

http://tinyurl.com/6wybbj ( dead link 06-22-21 )

Lately my girlfriend and I have been really enjoying the British TV series "Top Gear", but I wish they featured more classic cars from the 1930s-1950s:

http://hessmo.com/Hessmo/Top_Gear.html

bingster

I remember that auction, Bill.  Packed bumper to bumper and door to door, they were.  Some of the world's rarest and most desirable cars, all packed away for goodness knows what.

My favorites are Packards from the 1930s and '40s, Buicks from the '50s and '60s, convertibles from any era.  I've never been into sports cars, instead mainly luxury cars or family cars.  My dream car would be a 1940 Packard One-Eighty. Or a Jordan Playboy.  Or a 1920s sedan or any make.  Or... I could go on and on.

I've had a 1959 Buick Electra four door hardtop, a 1967 Buick Electra 225 convertible (both in near showroom condition), and a handful of more modern Buicks and Cadillacs.  My pride and joy right now is a 1951 Packard 300 sedan.  

Matt, Top Gear is one of my favorite shows.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I've had only a couple of American cars of classic lineage, a 51' Ford PU, a 60' Chevy and that's about it.  Instead the VW Bug bit me pretty hard and I ended up with a small collection over the years of various VWs.  My favorite, well maybe it was my fav they were all pretty cool, was the 77' lime green camper van.  That was a fun filled 70's adventure, especially in a crosswind!  Even the diesel Rabbits were fun to me, but the Bug was a more interesting ride I thought.  I still have various VW parts scattered about the garage though I've not owned a VW for a decade. 

Dan

I currently own a '65 Mustang with 65,000 original miles, and a 1965 Impala Convertible.

A few cars I would love to have:  a '40  Ford Conv, a '34 Ford roadster, a '59 Caddy Conv, a '71 hemi Cuda Conv, any 60's Lincoln Continental conv 4 door (mission impossible-mr phelps drove one) , a '63 Corvette split window coupe, an AMC AMX or nice Javelin,  and just for the reaction, a 60's Amphicar.

Also, a 59 chevy wagon (love the tailfins on those, and a want a wagon), also I love AMC's (had a rambler growing up) because i respected this company as a trailblazer.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

I currently have a 58 Chevy Delray 4-door and an 87 Chevy Caprice Wagon (woodie).  My first car was a 60 Chevy Bel-Air 4-door.  I am going to buy one once I'm done building my 58 and sell it.  My dad and I are also working on his 57 Chevy 4-door and have a 52 Ford Pickup. 

I'll post pics as I get them!  I posted some earlier, but have since made progress.  I love all big yachts, from the big gangster cars of the 30's (and any cars prior) all the way to the end of the era with the 70's. 

Also, my dad's looking for a 65 Impala SS convertible as the 65 SS is his favorite car.
- Tom

Ellen

The boyfriend of the late 1980's had a '65 Chevy II Nova, with a detachable hood (not on purpose) that he would rip off and throw on the shoulder of the highway to tinker at midnight on the Maine Turnpike when it broke down once again.  Ah, the days.  May they never come again (nor him).  But it was a cool car if you weren't in a hurry.  Although he *said* it would do 125 mph.  When it would go...

Actually, I like my current car best - 1992 Volvo 240, grey, station wagon, with a John Deere green hood, and a frieze of ecological bumper stickers around the middle ("we all live downstream").  I had 3 plastic chickens and a goose on the hood, but they came off in the snow.  The back seat is folded up and it's full of garden tools.

AET

Ah Ellen, glad to hear I'm not the only happy Station Wagon Owner here.  I was crusing through town today with my buddy in the 3rd row backwards facing seat, with the back window down waving at people haha.  Whatever it took to keep him entertained while me and my lady friend were in the front.
- Tom

McHeath

For about 2 weeks in the early 90's I owned a giant Ford LTD Country Squire wagon, 77' model, avocado green with wood grain sides, and wire hub caps.  It was like driving an oil tanker, the handling was hilarious, it bobbed and weaved over bumps, and it had a goofy set of vice grip pliers at the dear shift.  The engine was a huge 400 something ci V-8 that had hardly any actual power and yet drank gas like sailors drinking beer on leave at a bar in Hong Kong. 

I liked that car. 

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

I had a '69 Mercedes four door sedan for a couple of years.  I wasn't looking for anything fancy like that, but it just came up for sale cheap.  I loved it.  She drove like a fast tank and got decent gas mileage to boot.  But the upkeep was just too much.  I admit that my dream car now would be a Lotus Elise.  In British green, of course.

AET

Quote from: McHeath on April 19, 2009, 01:50:51 AM
For about 2 weeks in the early 90's I owned a giant Ford LTD Country Squire wagon, 77' model, avocado green with wood grain sides, and wire hub caps.  It was like driving an oil tanker, the handling was hilarious, it bobbed and weaved over bumps, and it had a goofy set of vice grip pliers at the dear shift.  The engine was a huge 400 something ci V-8 that had hardly any actual power and yet drank gas like sailors drinking beer on leave at a bar in Hong Kong. 

I liked that car. 

The 77 Ford LTD Wagon is the one that got me hooked on wagons, when I was a kid we had one, minus the di-noc (industry term for woodgrain) had a 400 motor, and was as my mom said "baby crap brown" I loved that thing.  I actually came across a 77 Country Squire with a 460, Fords Biggest at the time! right here in town for 2400 bucks.  Blue with the di-noc, and if I had 2400, it would be mine!  What a land yacht! Too bad I'm poor and a Chevy man!
- Tom

HobieSport

When my Dad was 16 (that would be 1935) he had a 1928 sixteen cylinder Cadillac that cost him $50.  I'll see if my sister still has a picture.  BrinyBay; I can't identify your pictures but basically all old cars make me drool, especially from the late 20s to the 40s.

My grandfather drove a logging truck in Oregon for awhile (I don't know what it was but I suspect a Ford) that still had wooden wheels.

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on April 17, 2009, 06:11:36 PM
I love some of the early Bugattis.  I wouldn't mind finding this in a garage:

http://tinyurl.com/6wybbj

Lately my girlfriend and I have been really enjoying the British TV series "Top Gear", but I wish they featured more classic cars from the 1930s-1950s:

http://hessmo.com/Hessmo/Top_Gear.html

that car looks like Cruella de Ville's car ;D

mienaichizu

I don't have an old car, but if I am going to look for one, that would be a Mercedes Benz or an Austin 70's Mini Cooper just what Mr. Bean is driving.

I used to drive a Mercedes before, a 80's model sedan owned by my aunt. Today I owned a Mitsubishi Pajero 98 model which I use for my work and leisure driving to the provinces.