"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Would this work?

Started by prokoph, April 07, 2020, 11:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prokoph

Hello everybody!

I am new to rotary phones and need help on making a VoIP set-up. First, some background information. I am a Czech expat living in the United States and it is unclear when I am moving back to Europe. In the meantime, I wish to have a rotary phone in my house so that I have a fixed line without the interruptions that happen on a cell phone. However, landline service is just overpriced for me so I did research and just want confirmation that this set up would work.

I own a Western Electric 500 (and am looking to buy more rotary phones in the future). I realize that I need an ATA to connect it to VoIP.

After the purchase of a Grandstream GS-HT802, I would pair it with the VoIP.MS platform.

Would this work?

Also, if I moved to the Czech Republic/another European country, would this set up still work?

Similarly, would this setup work with another rotary phone (such as a Tesla or GPO phone)?

Thanks,
Prokop

dsk

I have not tried grandstream ata's but linksys and dialgizmo among others work well together with Callcentric and with Zadarma.

dsk

compubit

Yes - I have the Grandstream HT802 working with voip.ms - line 1 is a Siemens FeTAp 791 (rotary) and line 2 is a NT Symphony (tone).

Both work extremely well.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!