News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 520 explosive atmosphere phone didn't survive UPS. A bent issue...

Started by shortrackskater, December 21, 2019, 06:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

If it was damaged in normal handling it was most likely not packed right. So you would have to hold the seller liable. You don't want that.

shortrackskater

Quote from: Payphone installer on December 29, 2019, 09:52:43 AM
Remember they will require you turn over the phone.

I was hoping they'd just inspect it. I did indicate that I wanted the phone and was requesting money ($75 or at least my shipping of $64) as a repair cost. It problem would cost more than that at a metal shop but I'll try the ideas here first and see.
Nevertheless it's still sitting in the box in my garage. STILL haven't heard from UPS. I guess they take two weeks off for the holidays?! Annoying.
Mark J.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

19and41

That looks like it will bend gently if you don't do anything to mar it deeply.  The progressive enlargement route sounds good.
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

I would attempt this repair slowly and fairly gently, increasing the force as necessary. Make sure to put a layer of thickish fabric between your gripping tool and the metal, it will help prevent further damage to the metal, and help prevent marking the metal where the force is applied. Be careful not to put too much stress on the metal in one place.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

shortrackskater

Late reply... sorry again. Those pesky holidays!
UPDATE:
First, UPS is downright STUPID with claims. They did approve my claim. I indicated on their online form that I was the buyer, and I had the phone etc. But their policy is to send the check to the shipper. So, somewhere in New Mexico (I'm in Orange County CA) is a check for me. So far it's not been mailed to me though.  >:(
Second - after some research and asking smart friends, I found a local machine shop and spoke directly to the smart owner who said he'd bend it back. It's tricky but he was fairly confident he could do it. It's going to cost upwards of $80 or maybe a little less so my estimate of $75 was very close.
Last - while the handset holder is in the shop I took the front cover and back screw-on mounting piece off. It takes about 10 revolutions for it to come free. I do get dial tone when I wired L1 L2 up to my line but the dial doesn't break dial tone. I suspect it's just a matter of re-wiring like some of my other WE deskphones. I didn't look here yet for a diagram (have to leave for work soon) yet but will soon.
In the meantime, here's the phone, cleaned up and a shot of the inside.
Interesting that the fingerwheel on the outside is linked to the internal dial via the shaft and that the internal dial still has a thumbwheel on it!
Mark J.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: shortrackskater on January 10, 2020, 06:11:27 PM

Interesting that the fingerwheel on the outside is linked to the internal dial via the shaft and that the internal dial still has a thumbwheel on it!

Dial demonstrators have the same or similar dial set-up.
Here is a you tube link that shows a dial demonstrator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4v-crPSrj0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have started a dial demonstrator thread.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23371.msg234309#msg234309
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

shortrackskater

Loved that old video. It was great when grandpa realized how easy it was to work!
Mark J.

shortrackskater

The handset rest is fixed!
This took a specialized machinist quite some time to bend back.
He actually had to fabricate a piece (If I'm explaining this correctly) to maintain the curve of the part as he bent it back into place. I think I was lucky to find this man through someone I know who races desert vehicles. And I live in an area (Costa Mesa/Newport Beach) where there are a lot specialty fabricator shops for all the high-end cars around here.
Mark J.

Key2871

He did a great job. Lucky it don't break off, but you can't tell it was so bent. Congrats.
KEN

shortrackskater

This was one of those cool old guys who just scribbled out my name and number on a scrap of paper, then sat the piece on it - and did the work about three weeks later but I was in absolutely no rush. When I dropped it off, he "guesstimated" it wouldn't be over $80 but then when I picked it up, he told me how much work it was, and said he always finishes a job he promises. But he asked what price he had quoted me before so that's what I paid: $80.
But I asked him what it would have normally been for that job and he stated it would have been about $150! But he insisted on me paying $80.
I'm going to surprise him later this week with a box of donuts for all!
Mark J.

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

shortrackskater

It's all back together. Everything works perfectly: dial, ringer, etc. The audio quality is impressive.
Mark J.

Doug Rose

Kidphone