News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 520 "explosive atmosphere" phone - dial wiring issues

Started by shortrackskater, January 20, 2020, 08:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

While I'm having the handset rest fixed on my phone (bent back), I decided to try it out!
I do get dial tone in the handset. The transmitter/receiver portion works.
But the dial won't break dial tone. I've checked the wiring from a diagram here that shows the 425 network is the same as my 4293. I'm sure I've missed something along the line. Any ideas?
Mark J.

Babybearjs

Just follow the schematic! it should be wired identical to any 500 series phone.
John

RB

Since the cradle was bent, indicating a tough shock...
maybe dial is out of alignment???
just a thot...

dsk

Never seen one of these for real, but I got 2 ideas after looking at the pictures.
1) In the ring we see a switch, maybe this is somthing blocking the pulse contacts when the unit are not sealed, just to prevent the risk of sparks. 

2) Maybe the white from the dial are connected wrong. (if you just theke those 2 white off, you will get loud clicks in the receiver, but the rest should work. Those 2 white cords should short the receiver when the dial is out of rest position.

dsk

HarrySmith

I have not tried mine but I do believe they have to be assembled to work. You may be able to bypass or activate the safety switch without putting it back together. This is also guessing on my part ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

shortrackskater

Quote from: dsk on January 21, 2020, 12:34:10 PM
1) In the ring we see a switch, maybe this is somthing blocking the pulse contacts when the unit are not sealed, just to prevent the risk of sparks. 
dsk

That is the handset switch. It connects through a long metal button to the outside.
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 21, 2020, 01:15:42 PM
I have not tried mine but I do believe they have to be assembled to work. You may be able to bypass or activate the safety switch without putting it back together. This is also guessing on my part ;D

I think I checked it out first assembled, then took the back off and tried wiring directly to L! L2 just to make sure my line wire was correct.
The front cover does have a button it depresses; I though I checked that? I'll check all this again when I get home.
Thanks everyone so far.  :)
Mark J.

shortrackskater

Front cover was on! So I'll start re-checking wiring. This phone looks like it's never been tampered with so it makes me wonder why anyone would change wiring unless they wanted to disable the dial for some odd reason.
Mark J.

Babybearjs

the other thing that comes to mind are the dial contacts. I had an issue of too much oil on my dial and it caused the contacts to stick together... dirty contacts may be the problem... stuck together or open... I had taken the dial I was working with and tested it on another phone... you might want to try that too... 
John

shortrackskater

Sorry for the nearly two month delay!
I finally got the handset rest repaired - that's posted on another thread...
Back to the wiring.
Far as I can see it looks correct but it's hard to trace some of these. I've used my my ohm meter to check everything I could.
This is not to say I missed something.
The dial is sealed and everything inside is clean as a whistle.
I have this shot at the beginning but here's my network, a little closer.
Mark J.

HarrySmith

Have you cleaned the dial contacts as suggested earlier? All it takes is running a piece of clean card stock, like a business card, through the contact points a couple of times while they are closed. Try that first. Also check the pulse cam is in the proper position, compare to any old WE dial for correct orientation.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

shortrackskater

I cleaned the contacts as suggested.
No change.
I can't even see the cam. I must be blind, sorry!
I contacted the original owner of this. He said something to the effect of "I may have changed wiring to keep people from dialing out" !!!
Mark J.

Vern P

Just a quick note. Dial leads, pauls go to F and RR, shunt goes GN and R.  To shut dial Paul's, move F to RR (iI think) Yes I have not read all of this thread.
Vern

dsk

Try to remove (and tape) the white wire pointed at with yellow arrow. (may get loud clicks in the receiver)

dsk

shortrackskater

Quote from: Vern P on February 18, 2020, 11:51:43 PM
Just a quick note. Dial leads, pauls go to F and RR, shunt goes GN and R.  To shut dial Paul's, move F to RR (iI think) Yes I have not read all of this thread.
Vern
Thank you Vern, but I don't understand any of what you said about Paul's and shunt. :(
Mark J.