News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE80 with a problem

Started by newskeeto, December 23, 2012, 12:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskeeto

I have a black AE80, that when I talk to people on it, they say they hear an echo of themselves.  I tried to fix this by shoving cotton into the handset, but that has not improved things very much, if it even has at all.  What could be wrong?  I do use it with an Xlink box, but I do not think that it the cause of the problems because my other phones work fine with it.

AE_Collector

No idea.

My first thought was are you using it on a VOIP service but if you are certain that it is only this hardwired phone and not any of the others, I'm stumped.

Terry

stub

Sometimes my cell has that same echo but not all the time and not on every old phone I call on it. Now I have called my son's cell and some of my old phones have an awlful echo on it. Like every word is repeated.
   Over my head also as I don't have Xlink box to test with.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

I Think this question came up a couple years ago, also with no solution.  I am now wondering if the programming for echo cancellation built into the Xlink box is expecting to "see" a different load charctristic than the older analog phone creates.  Do you have a 500 or 302, or some other non-electronic old phone to try instea of the AE 80?  I would be curious.

-Bill G

newskeeto

I have several 500s that I use with it, and they are all fine. 

Phonesrfun

By chance, would the old AE 80 be one of the older ones with the manual compensation rheostat?

The rheostat is a slotted variable resistor in the base of the phone woth numbers around it and the word LOUDER and an arrow.  If you have that model of phone, try turning it to the lowest point, rather than the loudest, and see if that makes a difference.
-Bill G

newskeeto

This particular phone is automatic and cannot be adjusted.

Phonesrfun

Oh well, we tried to help.

Manufacturers of some of the modern technology have apparently not tested their stuff out using all models of legacy phones.  However, an AE80 is electrically equivalent to a 500.  Baffling.
-Bill G

newskeeto

Thank you guys for the help.  Maybe if I use it with a regular landline, it will work.