News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not so “RARE” phones, phony items and other such fakery on eBay

Started by Phonesrfun, March 17, 2011, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Seller just listed this as a "Westrn Electric Mushroom Rotary Telephone 500 C/D" in a 7 day auction but I don't see the light. Probably an honest mistake by someone who doesn't sell a lot of phones.

On closer inspection, seems to be a mid 50's phone refurbed in '69 and left to rust somewhere after that. And, what's up with the network? Has the black cap but looks like a label was pasted on the side. Wasn't it twocvbloke who once thought about getting a rusted phone like this to restore?

It's a bit high with an asked starting bid of $195.00 but it comes with FREE SHIPPING.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23106120476

twocvbloke

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 24, 2013, 07:33:43 AM
Yep, there's not mushroom in that phone... :D
Its ratty enough that it likely could grow mushrooms! I notice he has removed it today...He must have realized his error. Definitely just a 500 c/d made ca. 1955 and refurbed in '69.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Paper labels were common on the networks in 500s from that time frame...Now, is there a list somewhere showing the exact dates this is true?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Just had to put this somewhere for posterity  ::) and phony items seemed the best fit, even though the seller just used a bad item descriptor probably for lack of not knowing what this thing is/was/could be.

To me, this looks like a theatrical prop, one to simulate a phone ringing by activating the switch on the right side of the board. Could also be used for a door bell, school bell or alarm bell. Nothing more than a ringer, a transformer and a switch on this board (and some original wiring) listed as a "Vintage home made telephone on board." I don't think it's UL approved, or would ever be. However, it is unique, and rare and probably worth a few bucks, to someone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251360212207

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: TelePlay on October 17, 2013, 07:18:57 PM
Just had to put this somewhere for posterity  ::) and phony items seemed the best fit, even though the seller just used a bad item descriptor probably for lack of not knowing what this thing is/was/could be.

To me, this looks like a theatrical prop, one to simulate a phone ringing by activating the switch on the right side of the board. Could also be used for a door bell, school bell or alarm bell. Nothing more than a ringer, a transformer and a switch on this board (and some original wiring) listed as a "Vintage home made telephone on board." I don't think it's UL approved, or would ever be. However, it is unique, and rare and probably worth a few bucks, to someone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251360212207

I'm kind of tempted to buy it and try it out. But then again, I don't have the room.

And I'm not too fond of burning down our house.

Ben

AE_Collector

Yeah I was going to ask how far you live from the Fire Department Ben!

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 17, 2013, 07:30:28 PM
Yeah I was going to ask how far you live from the Fire Department Ben!

Terry

Haha, it's like paying to burn down your house.

Ben

ESalter

Oh come on guys!!!  I've plugged in things that have looked WAYYYY jenkier than that before!  It very seldom leads to fireworks.  Occasionally it does though :)

---Eric

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on September 23, 2013, 08:26:16 PM
Seller just listed this as a "Westrn Electric Mushroom Rotary Telephone 500 C/D" in a 7 day auction but I don't see the light. Probably an honest mistake by someone who doesn't sell a lot of phones. On closer inspection, seems to be a mid 50's phone refurbed in '69 and left to rust somewhere after that. And, what's up with the network? Has the black cap but looks like a label was pasted on the side. Wasn't it twocvbloke who once thought about getting a rusted phone like this to restore? It's a bit high with an asked starting bid of $195.00 but it comes with FREE SHIPPING.

It didn't sell the first time around at $195 so the seller just re-listed it in a 7 day auction starting at $50 with a reserve, and $11.57 shipping. Still no "mushroom" so either Mr. Helpful didn't message the seller or the seller decided not to do anything about the message. Just saying . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231076669197

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on October 18, 2013, 07:30:17 PM
Still no "mushroom"

No "e" in Western Electric either. Never a good thing to squander in a listing...the "Western Electric" name.

5 feet of wire...25 cents.    5 feet of "Western Electric Wire"...$75.00
1 pound of Solder..$3.95.   1 pound of "Western Electric Solder"....$147.00
1 old speaker......$4.25.     1 old "Western Electric Speaker".....$265.00
1 used Amplifier...$16.00.   1 Used "Western Electric Amplifier" ...$1687.00

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: ESalter on October 17, 2013, 08:02:51 PMOh come on guys!!!  I've plugged in things that have looked WAYYYY jenkier than that before!  It very seldom leads to fireworks.  Occasionally it does though :)  ---Eric

Eric,

How's this one? Would you try your luck on that button?  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141067265717

Seller listed it as a "Vintage Primitive Phone bell Working" and then said "I'm selling this Vintage Phone bell , I was told it is a phone bell but I think it can be a home ring bell or maybe a project , It is in working condition , the base it is in it measures 7 1/4" x 5 inches , the bell is 2 1/2" in diameter."

Nothing wrong with the listing but, honestly, would you plug it into the wall? At one point in time, Richard Ebergold did just that, obviously without UL approval.

HarrySmith

I knoe fake candlesticks have been discussed before but I just came across 2 of them today so I thought it would bring it up for the "new" guys.
Always brass and always with the November 1910 date on the cup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291062058095

This one even has a coin box!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Scotophor

Quote from: TelePlay on September 23, 2013, 08:26:16 PMSeller just listed this as a "Westrn Electric Mushroom Rotary Telephone 500 C/D" in a 7 day auction but I don't see the light. Probably an honest mistake by someone who doesn't sell a lot of phones.

Someone (or several someones) are making the same IMO dishonest mistake over and over, as a form of keyword spamming to get more views. Try these searches:
In all categories: mushroom (phone, telephone)
In Collectibles > Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone > Telephones: mushroom

You may find several phones that are not even 500s, let alone with a dial light. I have seen D1 mounts, 2500s, wall phones, a candlestick... even one touch-tone phone that happened to be a mushroom-gray COLOR (but that's not what the title was referring to).

I've seen the same type of thing in other categories that I collect too. Once a lazy or dishonest seller gets it in their head that using a certain keyword equals higher prices, they will use that keyword for every sale of something that is even the most remotely related. For another example from Telephones, search "Monophone" and see how many non-Monophones come up.

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 18, 2013, 11:56:20 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on October 18, 2013, 07:30:17 PMStill no "mushroom"
No "e" in Western Electric either. Never a good thing to squander in a listing...the "Western Electric" name.

Sellers misspelling (or leaving out) the most important keyword in their title, loading the title with cryptic abbreviations or words nobody searches by (rare, look, LQQK, unique, etc.) always make me laugh and shake my head.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6