News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ABS can be collectible, too.

Started by Jester, August 25, 2009, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

As there are many on here that are hunting for each color the WE 500 was offered in 1953-64, I'm sure it is common knowledge that finding a soft plastic example can be both rare and expensive for those five colors introduced in 1957.  While I would prefer to have all thirteen colors (excluding black in this list-- black is not a color offering, it is the STANDARD telephone and stands apart from the color offerings) in tenite, I am quite pleased to have the two ABS examples pictured below.  The first is a light gray from 12/59.  This particular set came to me a little dingy, but brightened up nicely in clorox solution. 
Stephen

Jester

This second set is quite interesting, even if it is in the common color of light beige.  This phone dates to 9/59, and has a few transitional practices that would be mostly gone by December, when the phone in the above posting was manufactured.  For starters, the handset handle is soft plastic, but both caps and the cover are ABS.  Secondly, the cover is date stamped in red paint inside the front edge-- not a common way to mark ABS.  Has anyone seen this before?  Are there any marked this way that were made in October, November or December of '59?  The color on this one was also badly toned, but the clorox treatment barely changed things, even after three seperate tries.  I finally resorted to mixing up some peroxide gel-- my first attempt at this.  Results are pictured below.
Stephen

McHeath

Both of these phones have a nice elegance about them, interesting colors and a good presentation.  As of yet I don't have any soft plastic phones in color, but would certainly enjoy one.  (or 2, or 3...) 

foots

I like ABS, its easier to shine than soft plastic.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan

Here's an ABS that was the first open fingerwheel I ever bought. Handle and caps are  soft tenite, the shell is hard abs, dated 8-15-59 on the inside edge like you asked. I think ANY grey is collectable, and turquoise too (but I am holding out for a one year only open fingerwheel 1964).

unfortunately, bell (or someone) cut the back to put in a modular plug.

I've upgraded since then

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

Thanks for sharing that, Dan.  It gives me some idea when Bell Systems used that method.  I would also like to find a 1964 turquoise, but have decided to settle for 1966, preferrably late '66, since my birthday is in November of that year.  Two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Stephen

HobieSport

Quote from: Jester
I would also like to find a 1964 tuqouise, but have decided to settle for 1966, preferrably late '66, since my birthday is in November of that year.  Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Good idea, Jester, and BTW, thanks for this whole thread. Ya know, personally I gave up trying to get any soft plastic colored phones a long time ago, and decided that if I want color, to just get something newer that didn't have all the fading/discoloration problems involving the rather complex solutions to try to get them back to their original glory.

Would you like to be on the birthday phone list for an 11/66 500 in turquoise? If so just let me know. :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=991.msg18539#msg18539

-Matt
-Matt

Jester

That would be great, Matt.  Thanks
Stephen

HobieSport

Done. :)
-Matt

bwanna

ok help me out, guys. (&don't poke too much fun ;))  are tenite & soft plastic always the same?  ditto ABS & hard plastic?  what is "open fingerwheel?

thank you

dan,

i MIGHT have that '64 turquoise in my antique booth. i will be there this weekend. will post some pics, so you can see if it is what you want.
donna

Jester

Yes bwanna,
Tenite is the type of soft plastic used to make early 500 parts.  Catalin is another "soft" plastic that was also used by Bell System, but only on 302's and 354 wallphones-- just to add some confusion. ;D ;D
ABS is the type of "hard" plastic used on Bell telephones starting in 1959.  They are initials that shorten the name of the chemical makeup in the plastic--I believe the "S" is for styrene, but I'm not sure of the first two.
"Open" fingerwheel refers to the early plastic wheel that had a big open hole where the number card mounted.  This hole & card were covered by the same celluloid disc used in the metal rings mounted on metal fingerwheels to hold the card.
Hope this helps.
Stephen

bwanna

thank you, stephen

it's so much easier to ask the question, than go thru all the research myself ;D. i have learned quite alot since joining this forum
donna

HobieSport

And thanks for asking the plastics question, Bwanna, because I was unsure about it also. Chances are, even with the most basic of questions, there are other folks who want to know too. "But were afraid to ask" so to speak.

Nice to know I have a bunch of Catalin plastic 302s and 354s. And all this time I really thought they were Tenite plastic. I'm such a newb...

Anyways, I don't want to wander off topic too much...Stephen; show us more of your ABS phones!
-Matt

Dan

Quote from: bwanna on August 25, 2009, 01:38:15 PM
ok help me out, guys. (&don't poke too much fun ;))  are tenite & soft plastic always the same?  ditto ABS & hard plastic?  what is "open fingerwheel?

thank you

dan,

i MIGHT have that '64 turquoise in my antique booth. i will be there this weekend. will post some pics, so you can see if it is what you want.

YES I would be very interested, send me pics and a price. You can private message me, if you want to.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

Matt asked for more hard covered phones, so here are some shots of the first aqua I picked up this year.  It was in great condition & very clean when it arrived.  The only thing I've done is replace the handset cord & clean the dial bezel, fingerwheel & feet.
Stephen