"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE #21 candlestick subset

Started by wfs1933, September 25, 2014, 03:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfs1933

Hello,
Can someone please tell me which subset is correct for a 1934 sunken dile AE #21 ? this has 4 subset wires, what subset was likely to have been used new?  Thanks

unbeldi

The #21 came in sidetone and anti-sidetone versions, so given by your cord, yours has an anti-sidetone circuit.
The subset would be an L-550-AO.  Look into catalog #4055 of 1934, page 11. I think it may be in the TCI library,  but here is an excerpt covering the item.

wfs1933

sorry  its a 3 cord connector sidetone, can i use a mini-network in that AE subset? the one i have the coil is missing and a 101 wont fit, thak you for your info!

unbeldi

Yes, a mini-network can be wired to work for sidetone instruments too, I believe, but I have to work out the wiring for sidetone. It may require soldering.
Which kind of network do you have? The AE kind like this? I believe the part no. for this is the N-205.

If you're going to stick the mini-network into the phone base, you can actually wire it as an anti-sidetone circuit, because you're not restricted by the three conductors in the cord, and you can use the existing cord as a line cord to connect to the telephone line.

unbeldi

Sorry, I think you ask to install the mini-network into the subset. Yes, sure, then you will be using the mounting cord as is.

Please post some pictures of the subset, the mini-network, and the inside of the desk stand with the dial contacts showing clearly.

AE made several dial versions, but most of them, I believe, simply connect the off-normal contacts together.

wfs1933

yes thats the mini network i want to put in the subset,  thanks for your help!

unbeldi

Here is the circuit diagram for this network.  Indicated are the colors of the wires attached to it, and the places where the receiver (black+yellow) and the transmitter (red+green) attach.
Dial and hookswitch go into the usual places.