News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

81A Tone Generator, it works!

Started by Shovelhead, January 15, 2018, 08:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovelhead

I've had this probably since the mid 70's and could never get it to work. And tonight I succeeded!

It's been in a junk box for all these years, moved twice across the country, through seven addresses, why I hung on to it?

Been thinking about what could have been wrong with it. As it turns out nothing major, just a cleanup, tighten all connections and fasteners inside it along with resetting the buzzer tension screw that is accessible in the top cover.

Hooked it to a handset, flipped the switch, NOISE!

I've read not to use them on present day wiring, that is what my Greenlee generator is for. Just feel like I accomplished something.

AE_Collector

What is it...a buzzer for toning out cables?

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 15, 2018, 08:22:57 PM
What is it...a buzzer for toning out cables?

Terry

Yes, a static generator. I bought one to test my crystal radio

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13080.msg150119#msg150119

and the BSP or it is attached.

paul-f

Paul Wills wrote a great article on WE test sets in the April 2002 Singing Wires, available to TCI members in the on-line Members Area.

Also see BSP 105-240-100 in the TCI Library
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

2 "D" cells. Think I have one or two of them around here somewhere.

Terry

Shovelhead

Quote from: paul-f on January 15, 2018, 09:25:19 PM
Paul Wills wrote a great article on WE test sets in the April 2002 Singing Wires, available to TCI members in the on-line Members Area.

Also see BSP 105-240-100 in the TCI Library
I'n not a member, any chance that I can see that article?

TelePlay

The reference material on their site is available to anyone, membership is not required to access that part of their archives.

paul-f

Quote from: Shovelhead on January 15, 2018, 11:21:44 PM
I'n not a member, any chance that I can see that article?

Sure, it's simple to join, and relatively inexpensive -- only $20 per calendar year.
   https://www.telephonecollectors.org/member.htm

Once you join, you'll have access to the entire archive of Singing Wires issues, beginning in 1986. It alone is well worth the price of membership. We also hope you'll choose to support our ongoing projects through donations of time, research and documents.

As John said, the BSPs and material in the TCI Library are open for viewing by all.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on January 16, 2018, 01:58:25 PM
Sure, it's simple to join, and relatively inexpensive -- only $20 per calendar year.
   https://www.telephonecollectors.org/member.htm

Once you join, you'll have access to the entire archive of Singing Wires issues, beginning in 1986. It alone is well worth the price of membership. We also hope you'll choose to support our ongoing projects through donations of time, research and documents.

The content of each issue of Singing Wires including the ability to access every issue written stored in their member archives is well worth the small annual fee. Best $20 a year I've ever spent.

cihensley@aol.com

I have been a member since 1989. It sure gets you close to the hobby. You can tap a treasure trove of knowledge in past issues of Singing Wires.

Chuck