News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric N103A Assistance

Started by tanderson78, October 06, 2017, 12:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanderson78

In April 2017, I picked up a Northern Electric rotary payphone with parts dated 1966 through 1971 for $200.  It's a model N103A.  I just got it back from the locksmith this week.  I didn't find a diagram yet on here.  I got it to ring but it doesn't get dial tone.  As a last resort, I'm willing to hook it up to a 500 series network.  Help with the correct diagram or instructions how to hook it up to a 500 series network would be greatly appreciated.   I can send pics as requested.

jj3601

I just modified my N103a so that it sorta works with a postpay coin trunk.  I have a schematic that I can send to you.  My first post so not exactly sure how to do that.

John

HarrySmith

Can I ask what the locksmith did and how much it cost? Also maybe some contact info for him, a lot of people need payphones opened or keys made, it may help some.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

What is a N103A? I can't find it on Dave's list:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Could it be North -- Not Northern?

As usual, posting photos with questions is preferred.

There's an installation guide for the North N-103 in the TCI Library.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/catalogs-manuals-educational-docs-by-company/north-electric-2/4676-north-electric-model-n-103-coin-telephone-installation/file
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

That must be it. That model number for Northern Electric didn't seem to fit the pattern for their numbering scheme.

Moved it here (and modified the title) with a Redirect to "All Other Pay Telephones" as we don't have a North Payphone Board.

Terry

tanderson78

I haven't checked the Forum in a long time so I didn't know I had any responses to my post. I think somebody is right, it is a north, not a northern Electric. Actually, once I just plugged a couple components in properly, it seems to work just fine. The locksmith just ended up drilling out the center lock. As the unit was a little cantankerous to open, the locksmith didn't want to pull it apart any farther, and once I took it apart I realized I will still need to get the coin box lock drilled out. He was a nice guy and didn't charge me very much. I don't know if it's possible to find a lot for this phone so I'm just replacing the lock shaft, for lack of a better word with an appropriate piece of threaded rod and a rounded over nut. I'll send a picture if anybody's interested.