News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Romanian RS-7340

Started by LarryInMichigan, April 10, 2016, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

At the flea market this morning, I saw something unusual, a Romanian RS-7340.  It was in very good condition, but the price was quite high, so I did not take it home.  What do you think that one of these is worth in the USA?

Thank You

Larry

unbeldi

Well, it looks like a design from one of the BTMC types, 2724?, perhaps produced in license.  Didn't you have get one of those not too long ago?

At a flea market, I wouldn't expect it to cost more than $50, I think.

Almost looks like a WECo handset...

LarryInMichigan

It looks similar to a 2724, but it is not the same.  The handset looks like the type which would be on a 2724.  The seller told me that she thought it was worth $150.  When I made her an offer, she said that her bottom price was $85.  As rare as this model is here, I really doubt that collectors would pay that amount for it.

These were apparently made starting about 1948.  This one is dated 1960.  There are a number for sale on Romanian websites.  Just search for "RS-7340 telefon".

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 10, 2016, 12:17:25 PM
It looks similar to a 2724, but it is not the same.  The handset looks like the type which would be on a 2724.  The seller told me that she thought it was worth $150.  When I made her an offer, she said that her bottom price was $85.  As rare as this model is here, I really doubt that collectors would pay that amount for it.

These were apparently made starting about 1948.  This one is dated 1960.  There are a number for sale on Romanian websites.  Just search for "RS-7340 telefon".

Larry

I agree that price is not set by "rarity" but by demand.  Rarity is also much harder to measure than demand.
I have a Heemaf type that even Arwin doesn't have, and I only paid $16 for it.

Yes, I see one online that has the same dial card as "yours".  Well, you can tell her that you'll shop online for one, I bet it will still be there next week.

PS: I just saw one for sale at ~ 3 USD (12 RON)

unbeldi

Here is the 12RON attraction:

I agree, I can see the handset better now.

You probably found it too.

TelePlay

This is from a few years ago but it does have images and discussion to add to this subject phone: "A romanian RS-7340, made by "Electromagnetica-Bucuresti" in 1957."

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8539.msg91846#msg91846

Unfortunately, Daniel F has not been logged in since June 2013.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on April 10, 2016, 01:20:19 PM
This is from a few years ago but it does have images and discussion to add to this subject phone: "A romanian RS-7340, made by "Electromagnetica-Bucuresti" in 1957."

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8539.msg91846#msg91846

I had forgotten about that post.  If this phone is still there the next time I go to the flea market, and the seller has come to her senses about the value, I might be able to post my own pictures.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: unbeldi on April 10, 2016, 12:32:51 PM

I have a Heemaf type that even Arwin doesn't have, and I only paid $16 for it.

Eh oh! Which one was that, again?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 10, 2016, 12:17:25 PM

Larry

A version of the BTMC 2712 was produced in Romania. It was identical on the outside as the Belgian ones.
This one is indeed similar to the 2724 (Antwerp phone). Did Mix & Genest adapt the body shell on their version? Isn't that the same as this one?
Groeten,

Arwin

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on April 18, 2016, 05:02:55 PM
Eh oh! Which one was that, again?

Oh, that woke you up, LOL.     I was thinking about the  DC push button signaling wall phone, Type 1955 Heemaf GDK /  Philips NF000.12.

Matilo Telephones

Oh yes! Now I remember. Still haven't found one.  :)
Groeten,

Arwin

LarryInMichigan

I just bought one of these finally: ebay link.  Stay tuned for more information.

Larry

countryman

Interesting! I'm curious what you will find out about it.
I thought it looks somewhat ITT-ish, and this web page supports this feeling:
https://forum.softpedia.com/topic/330977-telefoane-fixe-home-use-i-publice-fabricate-in-romania/
Google/Chrome will translate the site, more or less. Unfortunately the pictures won't show, it's a 13 year old forum thread...
It seems Ebonite in Romanian = Bakelite? Ebonite in more familiar languages usually means an ancient type of hard rubber, but that is it not.

Edit to add, I failed to read the earlier posts in this thread ;-) It's already there...

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived safely today.  I gave it a quick try, and both the transmitter and receiver elements seem to be very weak or shot.  The ringer works well.  The dial was extremely dirty, so I am giving it a good cleaning.  I am attaching an initial picture of the insides.  The shell and handset seem to be made of the sort of crude bakelite that I have seen in some other eastern European phones.  The factory that made this phone was named for a Romanian communist.

Larry

HowardPgh

I have a phone similar to that
Howard