News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

happy Birthday phone

Started by Dan, September 19, 2009, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I went to the Springfield Ohio extravaganza antique/flea market. Phones everywhere. I was as usual, looking for old soft 500's and 554's and was unsuccessful, however I had a good day. Got this 10 button yellow for $12 and a black 500 for $5. The significance of the black was it is my first "birthday phone-May of 1962-to be exact.

I love the yellow of this touchtone-1965 date with a cord replacement and housing from 1972. The seller asked me why I even wanted this "ugly yellow phone?". I told him I liked it because it was a rare 10 button and he said he had a red one and green one similar to this at the show last month. I am affraid I am starting to get "hooked" on these old touchtones too!

The black is all matching from 5-11-62

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, you did very well.  That $12 10-button was a steal!  How often is that flea market held in Springfield?  Hmmmm......Detroit to Springfield, OH....Google says about 4 hours.

JorgeAmely

Dan:

That was a very nice catch for the day.

I have a phone with a card that reads TWinbrook 2-1053

Jorge

Dan

http://www.springfieldantiqueshow.com/

Largest show you will ever see. I honestly cannot do it in one day. Do the May or september extravanganza . Even if you like things other than phones , you will find something.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bwanna

dan,looks you had a good day "saleing" ;)
congratulations on finding a birthday phone. i, too, have started watching for the 10button phones.

i'd like to check out that extravaganza sometime, too. there are alot of great antique venues in ohio

donna

Dan

Thanks guys, I honestly thought when he quoted me $12 (strange price) , he would have took $10, but I didn't want to lowball him. It was worth $ 12!

The birthday phone had a piece of adhesive tape on it that said--"bell doesn't ring" but it was the typical grounded black wired issue. Works great.

Dan

Quote from: JorgeAmely on September 19, 2009, 10:23:40 PM
Dan:

That was a very nice catch for the day.

I have a phone with a card that reads TWinbrook 2-1053

Your phone was possibly from my home town. Did it have an area code?

JorgeAmely

Dan:
No area code. Just the number quoted.

Jorge

Dan

foots

Wow Dan, nice finds, really nice finds. Not only did you find a rare touch tone in a very nice color for cheap, but you also found a birthday phone too. 
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

I guess I need to send my brother or my mom to the Springfield show.  They both live in Springfield.

-Bill G

Dan

Send them Bill, they'll have a great time

McHeath

I'm more than a little jealous about that yellow 1500!  Wish I could run into a seller who wondered why I wanted an "ugly yellow phone" like that and was willing to price it accordingly.  Why heck I'll take it off your hands for 12 bucks! ;)

Drive by some yard sales over the weekend here, clothes, clothes and more clothes.  That's usually the bulk of the items, and the occasional odd table or chair.  We find better stuff on junk days, when the city allows you to pile up your junk and whatnots that you want to throw away but won't fit in the trash cans.  We've gotten 2 Danish modern lounge chairs that way.

bingster

= DARRIN =

bwanna

it looks kinda odd sometimes, when i am picking trash in the company truck. :o

donna