News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Off Topic WWII German Helmut Opinions!

Started by Doug Rose, September 12, 2021, 07:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet found this yesterday. It looks as if it was never used. Estate sale had a lot of Military stuff.

It is really heavy. I can't believe it was worn all day, it is that heavy. It has a decal that is perfect.

Is it real? Opinions???...Doug
Kidphone

countryman

I'm not into militaria stuff at all, but this one does not seem real to me. The decal is a copy of what was used by the Luftwaffe (air force) but just does not look authentic the way it is attached. More important, the German helmets had a distinctive brim.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/M35_(Stahlhelm)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_(Stahlhelm)

A helmet is a hard hat, Helmut is a name that was popular in the German speaking countries between 1900 and 1950 :-)
2 German chancellors one after the other had this name (Schmidt and Kohl, in office 1974 - 1982 - 1998) so it is no wonder that anything German is called Helmut  :)
The Polish call imported German used tramway cars "Helmuts"  :)

FABphones

I'll have to agree with countryman. I see plenty of original WWII artefacts inc helmets in various states of condition. None like that one, likely repro.

*nearest match, M38 Para Helmet:
http://www.dimsrestoredcombathelmets.com/164996267
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I'll third that, how often does a nos Helmut come available in mint condition? Uhh none.
KEN

countryman

Quote from: FABphones on September 12, 2021, 03:15:03 PM

*nearest match, M38 Para Helmet:

from my stupid civilian point of view I wonder how a parachutist would benefit from a steel helmet? Adding weight to get to solid ground faster? I better don't ask...

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on September 12, 2021, 06:01:22 PM
...I wonder how a parachutist would benefit from a steel helmet? Adding weight to get to solid ground faster? I better don't ask...

Deployed into combat zones. Very much needed. I know of several true and sad stories, some very close to home.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: Key2871 on September 12, 2021, 05:39:59 PM
I'll third that, how often does a nos Helmut come available in mint condition? Uhh none.
Military Surplus?
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: countryman on September 12, 2021, 06:01:22 PM
. . . I wonder how a parachutist would benefit from a steel helmet? Adding weight to get to solid ground faster?

In the late 1800's, Galileo discovered objects of differing masses fall to the earth at the same rate or speed. Following the law of gravity falling objects reach a terminal velocity of about 150 mph without excessive wind resistance, if the sky diver chooses the cannonball or head first flight position on the way down.

The typical or standard belly-to-earth position provides more wind resistance reducing the terminal velocity of a parachutist to about 120 mph and it takes about 12 seconds to reach that velocity.

That's the same for a weekend sky diver with just a jump suit, plastic helmet and parachute as it is for a Special Forces or Navy SEAL jumping out of an airplane with body armor, several weapons, ammo, radio, a 150 pound mission backpack and a parachute.

I'd prefer to hit the ground with a steel helmet on my head in an active war zone. After all, if one lands safely, they can always take the liner out and use the steel pot over a small fire to heat water for washing and shaving.

Can't do that with today's Kevlar helmets.

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.