News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE phone dial?

Started by Witty, January 03, 2022, 02:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I recently bought this North Electric phone at a local flea market. It's the model 7H84, with the wall mount body but made for desk use with the little plunger release button for answering and dialing out, and screw on leather foot pads, both for desk use.
All parts are dated 53 through out, including both handset elements, and the dial.
My question is;
What version dial is this? I assume it's an AE dial, but I'm not familiar with this design.
I would Appreciate any information anyone can provide about the dial.

I'll clean it up and post more pics later.
Thanks!
Ken

Doug Rose

Ken......North Dial...very nice with Bakelite fingerwheel. This is the Wall version of the North Galion. Sharp looking phone. I love the sound of a North dial....Doug
Kidphone

Witty

Doug,
Thanks for the info!

For some reason I always thought North dials had the finger stop higher up at the 4 o'clock position, like WE dials.

What I like about this phone is how they designed a wall phone for desk use also. The handset sits on the top when sitting on the desk. The plungers are pressed and stay down, and only pop up when you press the little release button to either dial out or answer a call. It could still probably be used as a wall phone, but you would still have to press the plunger release button every time, or change out the internal parts for the plungers.
The leather foot pads are in great condition, just need to clean some old paint off them

Thanks for the info, I still have lots to learn.!

Ken
Ken

poplar1

Quote from: Witty on January 03, 2022, 03:07:58 PM
What I like about this phone is how they designed a wall phone for desk use also. The handset sits on the top when sitting on the desk. The plungers are pressed and stay down, and only pop up when you press the little release button to either dial out or answer a call. It could still probably be used as a wall phone, but you would still have to press the plunger release button every time, or change out the internal parts for the plungers.

This is NOT a desk phone! The button is so that on a party line, you could make sure the line was not in use (ringing for another party, someone dialing, or someone talking) before pushing the button. As it is, without pushing the button, you could eavesdrop on anyone in your house who was using another phone on the same line.

The desk version was also available with the pushbutton.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

To Popular1, that's what I was thinking also.  A desk phone made this way would not be very convenient to use, as you could not see the numbers unless you leaned forward and looked downward, even worse that the A1 cradle phone and the dial desk stands in that regard.

Mike

Witty

Quote from: poplar1 on January 03, 2022, 03:21:35 PM
This is NOT a desk phone! The button is so that on a party line, you could make sure the line was not in use (ringing for another party, someone dialing, or someone talking) before pushing the button. As it is, without pushing the button, you could eavesdrop on anyone in your house who was using another phone on the same line.

Poplar1,

Thanks for enlightening me about the button!
I had no idea and just assumed it was used as a desk phone, since the plungers stay down until you press the button. Plus, when sitting on a desk the handset would not be able to rest on the plungers and keep them disengaged, without the use of a hold button system.
I remember when young, we had a party line, but all we had to do was lift the handset and listen, for the same purpose. So with this unit, you are saying you can listen in on the line at anytime with the plungers down?
I could see someone hooking up a small speaker to the receiver end to listen in that would always be live, with a switch to disengage it when you want to make a call. Very interesting concept.
I guess I have to question why it has the leather foot pads?
(Forget the footpads question. I noticed the same units without the plunger button have footpads also, but still curious why)

Again,
Thanks for the information!
Ken

LarryInMichigan

The base, with all of it's internal parts, of the phone was made to work for both the desk and wall versions.

Larry

FABphones

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Witty

Thanks to everyone for your input. I keep learning more and more from all your experience and knowledge.

I got my first wide North desk phone awhile back and realized I should have compared it's dial first, before taking up everyone's time, because I was told it's also a North dial, on this forum. The two are almost exactly the same.

And Doug, I really like the sound of this dial also.

Happy belated New Year to everyone, and thanks again!
Ken

Payphone installer

You should see them in colors.

poplar1

Quote from: Witty on January 03, 2022, 03:56:24 PM
So with this unit, you are saying you can listen in on the line at anytime with the plungers down?

No, only with the plungers up, but before pushing the button, you can "monitor" the line.

Witty

Quote from: poplar1 on January 04, 2022, 12:01:38 AM
No, only with the plungers up, but before pushing the button, you can "monitor" the line.

When I got this phone I did try looking up information about it but didn't have much luck, so it's really nice to find someone that's knowledgeable about it. I'm sure there are other collectors that have one and probably just as curious about exactly how it functions, so I really appreciate the information.
I was wondering if you happen to have any material, links, or other resources that you could share with us regarding these units? Or any material explaining how the mechanism works?

Again, thanks for your help!
Ken

poplar1

Quote from: Witty on January 04, 2022, 12:24:24 PMexactly how it functions, so I really appreciate the information.
I was wondering if you happen to have any material, links, or other resources that you could share with us regarding these units? Or any material explaining how the mechanism works?

I can't find anything about the North set in particular. However, AE, Kellogg, Stromberg-Carlson, and WE all have similar sets or modifications for standard sets. Here is a description of the WE 302 AC, on which you lift the right plunger after listening to make sure the line is idle:

poplar1

All Stomberg-Carlson 1243s have a tab near the hookswitch which can be bent to activate this push-to-talk feature. You also have to do minor wiring changes.

To make a call, first listen to make sure line is idle. Then push down the bar with the Stromberg-Carlson nameplate. It is located behind the cradle.

paul-f

Quote from: Witty on January 04, 2022, 12:24:24 PM
When I got this phone I did try looking up information about it but didn't have much luck, ...

There's a summary of some info gained in the past on this page covering basic North H-series set variations:

http://www.paul-f.com/north1.htm

Note the 4 suffix on the model number stamped on the bottom of your set indicates the set was made with the hookswitch latch.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line